Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Id like to try that TotalDac usb cable. I've heard great things about it!

I'm looking forward to hearing the Bricasti M1 DAC next month. I also think I can get that Allnic Dac in for a brief audition as well...
Hi Matt, I'd be most interested in hearing your eventual opinion of the Regen on the Empirical and on the upcoming Bricasti M1... Do keep us posted. G
Matt,
The Vertere Acoustics HB USB Cable is currently the best USB cable according to Audio Exotics - Hong Kong. They claim it beats the Totaldac USB and any other USB cables they've compared it to regardless of price. It sells for under $2000.00 I believe.
Really, it beats the TotalDac USB for just $1,500+ more. That is amazing!!

Look, I am not trying to be a jerk but for that price it should make a $2,000 DAC sound like a $10,000 one.

Of course the question is how does it compare to the $2,000 Synergistic Research USB Cable?
I agree on USB cables....I also agree on ALL cables. There are too many great sounding cables on the market that are 'cost effective' I guess you would say. I never understood spending as much for cables as you do for the component. At that point I've never heard a cable sound better than taking that same amount of money and upgrading your component. I love the cable that I purchased from Steve with his Empirical DAC, but I've heard the TotalDac cable now and it too sounds great on two DAC's I heard it with. Had to pay more than 500 or so on a USB cable when there are a few out there that sound great. JMHO