Attenuator recommendations

Hi, I am having some issues with either my cdp output level (6 vrms) or amp input sensitvity. Either way, I think I need to get an inline attenuator. I would prefer to get the very best attenuator available that does not degrade the signal in any way. I am absolutely new to this so I would appreciate any feedback. By the way, I need XLR and RCA.

Thank you...
128x128tboooe
Thanks for the clarification.

This is not the case with my current preamp but I have now auditioned two different (tube) preamps which both had this same extreme volume issue.

You can't just randomly insert componenets in your system, no matter how fine they may be in other systems, and expect them to work in yours. Any change you make has to be with the entire system in mind.

Those other 2 preamps are simply not compatible with your current system unless they have provisions for lowering their gain. I don't see the sense of introducing a preamp that has more gain than your system needs and then trying to compensate with attenuators. If you are set on the rest of your components then you just need to audition preamps that have the proper amount of gain for your "system."

Clio09, what did you think of the Rothwells? There are some reports on AA that suggest they "color" the sound a bit.
Tonyptony - At first I did not think the Rothwell's colored the sound, but after hearing both the EVS and Endler attenuators to my ears and in my system I felt the Rothwell's were slightly warm. However, I have to say for the price, compared to the EVS and Endler attenuators, this slight coloration can easily be overlooked.
I think I figured out what is going on though I am not sure.

First, my cdp output is 6vrms which is much higher than the 2-3vrms that I usually see for other cdp.

Second, the max output of the pre I am auditioning is 50vrms while my current pre max output is 20vrms. They both have the same number of volume steps (0-100 at 0.5db each step). I think this tells me that for any given volume setting the preamp I am auditioning will be outputting a higher voltage than my current preamp. This would lead to higher volume. Both of the pres have about the same gain 17-20db.

Am I missing something?

Since my amps which seem to be have too low an input sensitivity (is too sensitive), are not going anywhere, it looks like I either find a pre that has lower output voltage and gain, or use an attenuator.
Tboooe, you need to re-read Herman's last post. Gain structure is the most fundamental element in system building (synergy). If the components you select are not compatible, then there is nothing you can do that will correctly "fix" the problem. In the context of a high end system an in-line attenuator between your main source and your premap just doesn't cut it.