Are passive preamps better?

Does a passive preamp with transformers so that its impedence can be matched with an amplifier have the potential to provide better sonics than a line preamp? I have a Simaudio Celeste preamp and a Harman Kardon Citation 7.1 amplifier. Lynne
arnettpartners
The Endlers aren't the last word in a passive attenuator, I preferred the EVS, but my reason for using them was to attenuate the gain from an active preamp/amp mismatch. In your case, to evaluate whether or not passive is an option for you, the Endlers will give you a glimpse, but eventually you'll need to move up to something like a Gold Point, Placette, Reference Line, Prometheus, Django, or Sonic Euphoria to hear the real value of a passive.
A passive linestasge (not preamp, it does not amplify) is very system dependant. You need high oputput, low impedance sources(my CDP is 2.5VRMS@50 ohms) and high impedance, sensative amplifiers. My CJ solid state amps fit that bill. I'm even able to drive two amps passivly just fine. Then the choice is resistor based or transformer based. There are inexpensive resistor based and more expensive ones. The inexpensive often use the DACT unit and don't have a remote. The more expensive units have a Vishay resistor ladder controlled by a logic curcuit. These have over 100 volume positions and a remote control. Placette uses this setup as does CJ in their preamps. CJ warns of sound gegredation through a volume pot. The Transformer based units can actually add 3-6db gain if needed but never have a remote. Some people like the sound of one type but not the other. I've tried a few of both and use a Placette by choice.

ET
The Bent Audio TAP, soon to be back in production can be ordered with remote. The old version used transformers (S&B) while the new version will use autoformers (Intact Audio).

Bent also makes a resistor based passive.
OK. Got all that. I can send the Endlers back too for 30 days. Yes, linestage--much better. My amp and source is not meeting ET's criteria for the passive linestage. Not looking good. It sounded so good cold. The clarity was sort of a jaw-dropper. Tubes, huh? That's a pretty convincing testimony. Tubes look cool. There could be no cover on my tubes. Lynne
The Audio Research LS-7 linestage preamp must be an old dog, huh? They're asking around $650 including shipping. I guess you get what you pay for. Lynne