Hegel H80 for KEF LS50? Or other amp?

Hello all,

I am seriously considering the Hegel H80 based on the reviews I've seen and the recommendations of a few people who have heard it. My only concern is that my speakers are KEF LS50s, which drop to 3.2 ohms at their minimal impedance (although overall they are not an extremely difficult load) and have a sensitivity of 85db. The Hegel is claimed to sound more powerful than its claimed 75 wpc and to have a powerful bottom end. However, there is no specification into 4 ohms, and I'm worried that it will not have the dynamics or the bass that a more powerful integrated might have (for example, the Krell S300i is on sale for $1800 new and doubles down into 4 ohms - very tempting).

If any of you have experience with the Hegel into 4 ohm speakers, I'd love to hear about it. And if you have another recommendation for the KEF LS50s, I'd appreciate your input. I LOVE the speakers, but I just haven't found the right integrated yet. My listening room is about 14 x 16 feet, and I listen at moderate levels to a wide range of music.

Thanks so much!
Scott
smrex13
Scott,

So what did you think of the H80 with the LS50s? I'm running a NAP-100 with a Burson Conductor and am very impressed. Of course, I'm wondering if I can do better.

A. Hegel H80
B. Hegel H200
C. Hegel H300
D. Bryston B135 SST2
E. Croft Phono Integrated
F. Arcam A38
G. Sim moon i3.3
H. Naim SuperNait 2
I. Rogue ST100
J. Hercules power amp
K. Parasound A21
L. Parasound A23
M. Heed Obelisk SI
N. Stick with my NAP-100/Burson

So many options :)

Adam
I just picked up the LS50s for my office and have the Hegel 80 hooked up to them, but have only listened for a few hours and will get into it more in the next few + weeks, so they are still breaking in.

My initial impressions are as follows and using Analysis Plus Oval 12 cable (may swap out with my Kimber 4TC later for an A/B speaker cable comparison);

The volume on the Hegel aparently goes to 99 (I never went up to that level). My low level hearing is not terribly good, but I can't hear much from 0 to 10, a little bit thereafter and at about 20 to 30, I hear more sound. When I raise the volume to 40 to 50 range, this is equivalent to a lower (1st quartile) volume setting on my home system of Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3, with Audio Research LS17 SE with a 200+ watt Anthem Amp.

At the 40 to 60 volume range on the Hegel (normal listening volume to me), all I can say is "wow". The Hegels give such a grip on the LS50's that it sounds like I have a subwoofer attached or a much more powerful amplifier. The background is the blackest I've sensed from anything I've every listed to, with sounds just emerging from all around. The sound is holographic and incredibly dynamic, and the combination of the LS50s with the Hegel is solid, incredibly clear, warmer to me (non-fatiguing) which I prefer, and just plain musical and beautiful.

I'll post again in a few months if my impressions change. However, based on my first impressions, I could not be happier with this combination and can only imagine going up higher on the Hegel food chain would only enhance the positive qualities that I've heard thus far.

Bertram - with the KEF LS50 and the Hegel at your office, how do you get any work done?? :) I have had this pairing for a few weeks now, and I am very impressed with the Hegel 80 - clear, powerful, transparentÂ…it just seems to do everything well. Nothing is emphasized, which is exactly how I like it. If anything, it's ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral for a SS integrated.

I have had a similar experience to you with the volume setting, until I tried the balanced inputs. With the RCA connections I heard relatively little coming out of the amp until I got up to 30 or so on the Hegel, and I really had to be around 46-50 for good, clear sound. I attributed this to the low sensitivity of the KEFs, but It was a bit frustrating in that it seemed there was a very small range between "too quiet/background music" and "the neighbors are going to hate me."

However, since my Oppo has balanced outputs I decided to try a JW Audio signature balanced interconnect and the soundstage just exploded, the separation of instruments was starting, and the volume range from about 30-45 was nicely adjustable. There may be different gain for each connection, but even when I adjust for volume levels the balanced connection is significantly better. I have another pair of balanced interconnects coming to see if it's the balanced connection that makes the difference or the particular cable (or some combination of the two).

However, right now I could be happier with the sound that I'm getting. Oh, and the Hegel DAC is a very solid performer. If you only use computer audio, get a good cable, the Hegel, and the KEFs. For about 4K, you're not likely to get better sound anywhere.

Overall, though, I significantly prefer the Oppo for DAC quality, for versatility, and for the fact that I can play DSD files.

Hope everyone is well,
Scott
Scott, thanks for the great suggestions! I will try out the balanced inputs. I'll also explore the Oppo futher as this makes a lot of sense, given that it can play DSD files, USB disc drives, etc. I have a couple of balanced DACs that I have that I might bring to the office to play around with as well - a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and a Bryston BDA-1.

I'm on the hunt for good speaker stands as well. My ear height is 3'10" to the ground from my office chair, so I need a taller than typical stand. I have Skylan stands with my Harbeths at my house, which are fantastic; however, I don't think they make stands above 29/30". Sound Anchors are my present number one choice as they make stands above 30" and am considering placing an order tomorrow.