Powerful Tube Amp for SF Strads?

I am looking for recommendations for a powerful tube amp for my Strads. A powerful tube amp which truly excels at palpability, musicality but also has very good bass control (though bass control is not as 'mission critical' to me as palpability).

My current amp (see below) sounds great to my ears!...but runs out of steam much too soon.

My system today:

Zanden 5000S DAC
CJ Act 2
CJ MV60 (EL 34 tube)
SF Strads (4ohms, 92db sensitivity though impedence does dip to 2.5ohms)
Velodyne DD-18 (run in parallel)
Transparent Ref/Ref XL cabling throughout
Purist Audio Dominus PC

In addition to recommendations, any thoughts are welcome on Wavac, Audio Note, Zanden, VTL, CJ LP275...or monoblocking MV60 (EL34)? Thanks!

Lloydelee21
lloydelee21
Hi Kops, thanks for your advice!!
My system for your review/advice:

- Zanden DAC 5000Sig
- CJ Act 2 Pre
- Gryphon Antileon Amp
- Trans Ref IC Cabling
- PAD Ann Contego/Dom Ferox PC for DAC, Amp.

I have heard great things about Stealth Dream from the person whom I am buying PAD from.

Typically I look for organic midrange first...and then expect high powered bass, clarity, accuracy, etc next.

As a result, I went for Zanden, SF Strad, PAD PCs...however, I was "educated" after hearing Krell Evo One and Wilson Alexandrias...which really take an approach of accuracy, pitch control, etc first...and ended up creating one of the most musical systems I've heard in a long, long time.

So your point about Stealth (which I was told is more accurate...PAD more organic)....could well be a good thing for me.

Any further thoughts now that u know my system are very much appreciated.

Lloyd
Kops,

Also...what in particular stands out in your mind about the sound of the Stealth Dreams PC with your Antileon...vs other Power cables...and what other cables did you audition? Thanks!
Lloyd,

In reproducing high performance audio the part of the cables must be the lesser; in fact if absent is better.
We do not need sonic singature from cables but deliver undistorted signal (as much as possible).

Already you are having a "nice" sonic signature from your tube dac and tube preamp (I have tested the same pre as yours and is a good much with Antileon; but Antileon needs balanced preamp to deliver the most...I ended up either with dCS direct or with the latest Viva Audio Linea XP which is one of the most musical preamps ever heard; and still audiophile too), you're having musical and sweet speakers, so IMHO you don't need more "sauce" from the cables.

If your dealer can help you try the Stealth Dreams or Jorma Prime.

I think -with Dreams- you should see the power of Antileon and have bigger dynamics, more depth and broader soundstage, clarity as well and absolutely no harshness or edgy sound.
More neutral in the good way and faster (or equally fast with Nordost).

Previously used, Nordost valhallas, Stealth M5000 (sweeter sound), Siltech g5, g6 (Siltech is internal wiring in Gryphon), Virtual dynamics, Acoustic zen, Gryphon (entry level, same as Siltech) among others.

In general I believe that every cable (especially power cords) should be tested in your system first.
And only after that; decide.

The same applies with Speaker cables, I had Yter which is internal wiring of Strads and Annis, then Valhalla (lacked the depth of Yter and sweetnes also; but more tranparent and fast) and then came Stealth Dreams just better in every way and all the virtues of the previous.

But all is system dependant...so try before you make any change. All IMHO.

George.
Thanks George! That is very, very helpful. You have given me much to consider. I have always like the CJ Act 2. I also liked the Arc Ref 3 (which is balanced).

As for cables, I have spoken to my dealer who sells both Dreams and PAD. He walked me through the cable options and their pros and cons. After much discussions, he recommended I listen first to PAD Anniversary Contego. I will report back when I have rec'd the cables and burned them in a bit. Thanks again!

Lloyd
Lloyd,

I have also used Arc Ref3 with Gryphon, the soundstage is huge and the match is very good indeed.
The only thing is that it is kinda different flavor from CJ....so test it.

If your dealer has both Stealth and PAD he should let you make A/B comparisons for 3-4 days at least and you'll find out.

Enjoy!