Tube Amp Recommendations

Looking for a tube amp, less than 3K and preferably not more than 2500 dollars, that can power Von Schewikert VR 4 JR speakers. I am using Morrow Audio SP2 speaker cables (a phenomenal produc, the highly acclaimed Audiohorizons tube pre-amp, an Alesis ML-9600 CD player/recorder, a Taddeo Digital Antidote, and LAT international as well as Audiohorizons interconnects.

I wish to avoid the extreme hassle that I experienced with VTL MB-225t monoblocks (will sell very cheaply)with the biasing. If not an autobias set up, I'd need some middle ground from what I went through with the VTL's. Monoblocks or single chassis are OK. Preferably Id like a company that has a reputation of being very service oriented if needed.

If there are amps out there that you can recommend, I am all ears. I am new to the tube game on the amp side. I do have a Music Reference 125 wpc amplifier that is very, very good on one of my systems. However, the audiophile in me wants to try something else.

Thanks.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark
Anthony, did you think the RM200 was as good as the RM9 in the midrange and other areas of performance?
Stay with VTL - try the ST-150, it is easier to maintain than the 225t's and has plenty of oomph for bigger speakers. I have the smaller ST-85 and it can drive my big Martin Logan Vista's no problem with clean sound.
YS Audio YSA100S fully balanced tube amplifier . RMS100W output , it can good for you...
Paul,

Sorry for the delayed response. I did not feel the RM200 was as good in the mid-range as the RM9. I think the RM200 has better tonal balance and is more neutral than the RM9. Of course my RM9 was the original version not the SE (although Roger upgraded some parts on it for me). That being said I still wouldn't mind having the RM200 in my system.

Roger ran his with the PITB and a non-descript Sony CDP. Zip cord for speaker cables, his RAM ICs, and stock PCs (not much of a cable guy). At the time we were listening to his prototype electrostatic speakers, which are now in full production. A very impressive set-up that was much different than mine at the time so take that into account as we were not doing an A/B comparison.
Likecap is right. I have a mint Cary V12R and will probably never let it go. I hooked it up to a new Cary SLP98P preamp and can't be happier, but then again, I do not think there is such a thing as Majic or Nervanna in music. It's all about the Benjamins. sas