Passive Preamps? Anyone?

Will kind folks point me in the direction of some really good passive preamps, or really good, small (1-2) input active pre's? I'm thinking about trying a new DAC that does not come with volume control, so, alas, I need a good pre. Thanks!
sammie
I believe Nelson Pass already posted the schematic on the Pass DIY site as well. I saw a couple built by Audiogon member Rawsonte fly out of here of late.

As Pubul57 says the rsistor based design is much simpler. I'm tempted to break out my EVS nude attenuators and give them a test run in my new set-up. I looked at the Lightspeed thread and am curious about those attenuators as well. Anyone know a way to contact the manufacturer?
He keeps a low profile; emailing him through that forum is probably the best way.
One more I forgot to mention is from ElectraPrint marketed by their Electra-Fidelity subsidiary. Three versions (at least) all very reasonably priced.

Jack Elliano, ElectraPrints guiding light is considered to be one of the industries gurus when it comes to building audio output transformers, chokes, and power transformers.
After reading 63 pages on the DIY Audio forum and speaking to George I decided to pull the trigger on the Lightspeed. Also, I figure if Nelson Pass got into the mix on LDRs it is worth checking out.

Dave, did you ever get them implemented in the active preamp. I can't remember if you posted the outcome on DIY Audio.
Clio, I acquired the LDR piece parts, but abandoned the project due to problems getting LDRs to track closely in a high-impedance volume control for a balanced tube preamp. I've been waiting on Unixman from that thread to complete a rather complex digital control system that would resolve this issue. But assuming you need a single-ended passive of around 10K impedance, the Lightspeed should do fine. Looking forward to your findings.