First Tube Amp: Advice? Keep spare tubes on hand?

I'll be receiving my first tube amp in a few days.
Please let me know the basics I NEED to know. I really want to know if I should keep a spare set of tubes on hand.
I have read the primers I could find on line.
I thank all of you excellent Audiogon'r's for your excellent advice and information in advance.

Richard
rhanechak
Jim McShane is really excellent for buying current production tubes well matched. Brent Jesse and Andy at Vintage Tube Services are excellent for NOS - I mean when you get your amp back a decide whether or not you like it.

TVAD, on the resistor-as-fuse amps, it is unfortunate that one of the best sounding amps I have owned and ever heard operates like that - CAT JL2 - the designer thinks fuses screwup the sound - I sold the amp and bought from a fella who thinks that not have an amp fry when a tube fails is important.
I second Usblues, and after you decide how much you like the amp, tell us what tubes it takes. Remember, NOS tubes are a good buy, but must be purchased per Usblues advice.
Hi everyone. Thanks for the sage advice. I've been listening to this Baldwin 6L6 tube amp for some time now with the current tube complement and I really do enjoy it. It is matching well with a pair of KEF 103/3 speakers I have. Big improvement in imaging and overall soundstage. I'm getting lots of nice details in various music I've hit the amp with. I think it only ran out of oomph when I was blasting some Blind Guardian.

I'm trying to find out information about the amp now.

Here is the current tubes in the amp.

3 12AU7 tubes 1 labeled Baldwin 2 Electro Harmonix
2 Harmon Kardon 7408 tubes
2 Baldwin 6L6GB tubes
1 Baldwin 54UGB tube

Replacements/spares I'm looking into based on my current budget.

3 Matched HP 5963 Large Plate NOS 12AU7 tubes to replace the current trio. That or just 3 new Electro Harmonix 12AU7 tubes.

2 TUNG-SOL 6V6GT Re-Issue tubes to replace the pair of HK 7408s.

2 Russian Military surplus 6Pi3C tubes to replace the 6L6GB amp tubes.

1 ELECTRO HARMONIX 5U4GB to replace the Baldwin 5U4GB tube.

Please let me know what you think. I'm hoping these tubes won't be a step down from what I currently have in the Baldwin amp. Is there a formula to follow with cost of tubes vs. cost of amp?

I will definitely not change the power tubes unless someone can re-bias the amp for me or I can find info onto how to re-bias this amp myself. I was told I could change the 12AU7 tubes without re-biasing the amp. Since I'm happy with the current sound of the tubes in the amp I won't change them out till a tube dies. (I know famous last words.)

Thanks again everyone for the help.
I have afriend of mine who has been in and out of tube amps over the years.

He likes the sound,but lives in fear of a tube meltdown, and he has been known to invest more money in spare tubes than the cost of the amp!

I've owned tube amps over the 40 years I've been at this, and never once had a tube failure or tube blow up.Lucky?

Perhaps, but I don't listen at loud levels either.

At one time ,because of my friend's tube anxiety, I used to think a spare set of tubes was necessary, but not anymore, unless you are into tube rolling, which is a whole other OCD.

My advice is to not worry about spare tubes, but that you do know where to find them if you need them.

And tube life depends a lot on how the amp is made.
If it's designed or biased high, you'll need to replace tubes more often.

Tube amps aren't for everyone, especially people with OCD, or neurosis, but in all fairness, they are the one's with the problem, you can't lay the blame on tube amps.

By and large they are a pretty reliable and stable bunch.

Good luck, I hope all your tube experiences will be as rewarding and trouble free as mine have been.