What do you see as the downside of tubes?

I have decided on getting a tube amp and it will be the integrated Mastersound 300B driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars, so at least that decision has been taken.

My main question is what you see as downsides of having a tube amp. As I've decided on getting an integrated tube it's really about what the downsides are I might want to know about beforehand.

The ones I'm aware are the following.

-The tubes need to be replaced and in the case of a 300B this will be somewhat costly.

-Bias is another issue but I'm not sure how big an issue. Do you plug in your meter every so often or just when you roll tubes or replace a dead one? The meter as such isn't gonna be a big issue as I don't think it's that expensive.

-Heat won't be a big issue as we have no kids nor a nosy dog that could get burned. Hope my electricity bill isn't gonna go through the roof, but then again, I can't quite imagine that.

I'd appreciate if you could add whatever your experiences are regarding this question are as I'd like to know more before I buy it.

Thanks
krauti
Krauti, I've lost track of this thread. After 4+ pages...how is your Mastersound/LV combo working out? Happy with the glowing glass?
It looks like the answer to the question this thread imposed is that besides the extra care that tubes demand it worths it, based on many of your responses.

There were some other issues here (not that relevant to audio reproduction from my perspective) such as heat disipation whih might be troublesome for some.

Nice and informing thread so far!
Since your choice of getting a Mastersound amp is done, this shows that you have gone beyond the no-return point as far as at LEAST trying tubes. Here is what I would do.

1. Not go through with the Mastersound, but get a different type of integrated, like maybe a small Cayin T-30, the one imported by Buzzy Bee, if you can find one. Why? First of all, it runs on relatively cheap tubes, like the EL34. You can also change tubes (tube roll) to a number of variants of the 6550 and KT 88 family. When going tubes for the first time, it is a lot of fun to experiment with different-sounding power tubes. The Cayin (and other similar integrateds) will not set you back more than $ 600 - $ 750, and replacement tubes will cost you a fraction of the 300B that the Mastersound uses. Above all, you will have tried a reliable machine, easy to bias, and will probably be able to find out if tubes are for you without emptying your bank account.

Another possible route:
I have gone from insanely expensive solid state and tube separates and integrateds (along with kilo-buck speakers, such as the Verity audio Parsifal), to a severe downgrade where I am now satisfied after years of the audiophile circus.

I a currently using (don't laugh now!) a Shanling MC-30 cd player-receiver complete with a single-ended amp built in, producing a WHOPPING 2 watts per channel! This amp is driving a pair of Opera quinta speakers, large, rich-sounding, and a perfect mate to this small wonder of an amp. Low level to moderate level volume only, but it is extraordinary in sound and resolution, smoking a past Sonic Frontiers Line 2 Power 2 combo in harmonic richness.

Why don't you give this little wonder a try? All of 600-700 will get you a tube preamp, set power amp, tuner, and a cd player that will compete with any $ 1,500.00 stand alone player when you finally add a separate power amp to it?

Read up on the MC-30 and be amazed.

Just an idea, good luck!
Tholt, The mastersound amp he was thinking of buying was mine. And no he couldnt get enough cash up. Times are hard for many it seems. No worries though I love the se300b and its running as I type in my office system.