Headphone amp and headphones... ?

I'm thinking about buying a headphone amp and headphones... will i hear a noticable difference if i 'm in the 1500.00 headphone range and around 700.00 for the amp? I have Rouge audio 180 mono blocks and the 99 preamp. The way it is now i can't get any sound / volume out of it with just the headphones
bobmclean
First - go to headfi.org to get the best feedback on this subject - its all they talk about and there are some very versed people on that site. There are also classifieds if you want to buy used.

Headphones are a great approach and one can far exceed the performance of an outloud system at a fraction of the cost/price. First thing you need to figure out is what type of sound you are looking for from the "cans". You may be best off hitting a store than sells a variety of brands and listening - at least getting an idea of which brands produce a sound that is most conducive to your tastes - then going to Headfi with that info for further suggestions.

What part of the country do you live? You should post that so others who have "phone" systems could allow you an audition of theirs - garnering you some experience for likes and dislikes and helping you get started in the right direction.
Jax 2, did you have a chance to upgrade the cable on your Audeze? And what kind of amplification do you use with good results? Thank you
Jax 2, did you have a chance to upgrade the cable on your Audeze? And what kind of amplification do you use with good results? Thank you

Hey Brano - Yes, I'm currently using a 4-pin balanced cable from Norse Audio (TigzStudio on Head-fi - Trevor). Mine is the 8-conductor version. I'm generally happy with it, but I don't have another balanced cable to compare it directly to. It does best the earlier stock cable (I initially had it as a single-ended cable and later had it changed by Trevor to a balanced when I changed amps). The Norse is beautifully built and customer service from Trevor is top notch. I did get to compare it directly with a much more expensive ALO 8-conductor cable that someone brought over to my house when it was still single-ended, and the latter was a clear winner to my ears, but you'd have to decide whether it is worth the difference in price. Trevor's cable is around $179 while the ALO is around $500. As I said, I found the ALO to be definitively superior in my brief audition, while the Norse is marginally better than the stock cable, and I've been quite happy with it (I personally would not be willing to almost triple the price to gain the improvements the ALO offered, but you might feel differently). Audeze just recently changed their stock cable design and I have not tried the new one. They, of course say it is improved over the earlier version. I have not read any reports to confirm or deny this. New LCD-2's will come stock with this newer cord. The older cord had some unfortunate problems with microphonics.

Amplification is tricky with the LCD-2. I've found they do like some headroom. I initially was using a Woo WA6SEm that I found to be a great amp with other cans, but with the LCD-2 it could not bring much to the frequency extremes and I found the highs to be too recessed and rounded off and the lows also be lacking in control. Vocals were beautiful though. The two amps I would highly recommend that I have heard extensively with the LCD-2 are the Apex Peak Volcano (a Pete Millet design available from Todd the Vinyl Junkie), and my current amp, a Violectric V181 in fully balanced mode. Those two amps are a world away from the Woo in making the LCD-2's shine brightly and meet their potential. They bring the extremes back in line with the mids with authority and grace. The Apex Peak does just a bit better in the mids with its hybrid design (the V181 is a SS amp). They both put out about 2 amps into the 50ohm load if I recall correctly. The other usual suspects for the LCD-2 are the Leben 300XS and the Meier Concerto. I'm not sure if Kingwa is still building the Audio GD Phoenix, or the ROC SA, but both of those would also offer ample headroom, though no direct experience to share there. I'd also be interested to hear what a Beta 22 might do with the LCD-2.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your detailed answer. I have another question regarding their ability to play at lower volume...which is what I do most of the time...I've heard they are not particularly good at that. Would you agree with that statement? I heard that AKG K702 are pretty good at lower volume.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I have another question regarding their ability to play at lower volume...which is what I do most of the time...I've heard they are not particularly good at that. Would you agree with that statement? I heard that AKG K702 are pretty good at lower volume.

Yes, I'd agree they are quite good at low volume. The only other cans that I've heard that are better at low-volume listening are Grado GS1000's, but in every other respect the Grado is an idiosyncratic headphone and not up to the level of the LCD-2's for general listening. The other iffy issue around the LCD-2's will be comfort. Being an ortho they are large and a bit heavy and you become very aware of them as they do tend to squeeze a bit more than other cans (Audeze did improve this from the very early version which were even tighter). For some folks it doesn't matter, and some actually find them comfortable. I do not, but I also don't find them very uncomfortable either. They sure are not HD800's, which are one of the most comfortable cans I've owned. I don't remember AKG702's being that great at low volume, but honestly I did not give them much of a chance and I don't think I had the best amp for them. I heard them later on at a headphone meet using a Woo WA6SE amp and they sounded much better than I'd ever heard them sounding. I did not own them with the Woo I had so that was the first time I'd heard the combination. They do not have the tonal richness that the LCD-2's offer, nor the lower end extension or flat mid response....a different sound...more akin to the HD800's you used to have, but falling short there, even optimally amplified...IMHO. If you listen to music at low volumes most of the time you might want to try to take a listen to the GS1000's, but be aware that they are really tailored for classical music and don't seem to serve vocals nearly as well (at low volume this does not seem to make as much of a difference - not sure why - could have something to do with the impedance curve, but someone who knows better would have to confirm).