What is your source for discovering new music?

I use Pandora primarily. Every now and then I get new discoveries on the internet jazz radio stations.

The local FM jazz station used to be my only source. I knew no other jazz fans personally. The SqueezeBox has opened up a whole new world for me.
128x128mitch4t
local college radio station WIDR and internet radio WFMU

I often buy more than a CD each week...
Xiekitchen, yes, Amazon does have a nice way of offering other selections. Nice too you can listen to snippets of the selections most of the time.
Blue Coast Records, Concord Music Group, HD Tracks, Linn Records, Naim Music.Com, Internet Archive, Itrax.com, 2L recordings, Reference Recordings, Opus3 Records. Analouge Productions, Acoustic Sounds. Get started with these. That should take you awhile and give you many styles and genre to discover.
In the 1990's I'd scour thrift stores for albums of decent physical quality; 50 cents to two bucks per record was cheap for my early music education.

Today I surf Pitchfork.com for new music, listen to 88.5 KPLU out of Seattle for jazz (past and present), CBC Radio 2 is our public station here in Canada and features many artists weekly; check out each station's respective website for more info and past shows.

I agree with Xiekitchen that purchasing titles through Amazon can lead to new, happy surprise purchases. I've found The Absolute Sound to be quite good for reviewing music from all genres. Just look for a MySpace page of the artist you're interested in as they'll have songs to stream.

Finally, I subscribe to ElusiveDisc emails which I find to be helpful in acquiring quality LP's; albeit, expensive ones!
I read posts from members of AudiogoN and Head-Fi. I ask friends. I look throughout the internet. Progarchives has given me new music. As have many others.