Your best ''outstanding'' products in last 5 yrs?

I have been reflecting on my biggest surprises and value-for-money purchases in the last 5 years - the ones that were truly impressive for the money, here are mine, and would like to find out about other maniac's choices! Stick to what you have actually purchased please! My top 5 (so far).

1. Yamaha AS2000 integrated amplifier.

Totally off the charts. This is an absolutely outstanding amplifier for the money - I cannot think of anything under $ 3,000.00 that is more refined, powerful, and full-featured all at once. Gracious looks and battleship build are a bonus.

2. Shanling MC-30 receiver.

It may look like a toy, but it sure isn't one. Wonderful musicality with a whopping 3 watts of power, sounds much more powerful than that. A steal at the price. Amp, cd, tuner, with the magic of tubes.

3. Yamaha AS1000 SACD player.

Only the second (along with the AS2000 amp) Yamaha component I have owned in my lifetime. Ridiculous price, amazing quality with the smoothest-operating load mechanism south of 5K. Someone told me that Yamaha's marketing mistake is that they should have invented a sister brand (like Pioneers TAD or Teac's Esoteric) for the AS series so that they could charge more. I agree, but in the meantine, the consumer wins.

4. Music Hall MMF-7 turntable.

No REGA or VPI bragging rights, but this is a BEAUTIFUL table worth every penny and more. Decoupled motor, classy acrylic plate, double-deck plinth, decent Pro-Ject tonearm, it just screams ''buy me''. Now updated to 7.1 - I listened to both, could not detect a sonic difference with the same cartrige.

5. Cambridge Audio combo of DacMagic and the new ID100 digital transport (check my review on this one). Roaming hundreds of free digital Web radio stations has become very enjoyable with not-too-shabby sound. Pocket change as far as audiophile budget goes for these 2 items.

Special mention to TT weights and their Classic model. Where else can you get a CNC-machined product from an avionics supplier for 60 bucks?

That's it for now - after mega-buck tube amps, cables, preamps and cd players - these top 5 are it for me, and have given me a break in my pocketbook with no regrets.

Let's hear your choices!
sonicbeauty
I have now had the Daber Monitor 3's for two weeks and have had a chance to do some critical listening. I have the rounded cabinets in maple that Steve provides for a small extra fee. They are gorgeous with very high end carpentry work! The first thing that will strike you is the deep, tight bass for such a relatively small speaker. I doubt anyone but the most avid bass fan will see the need for a subwoofer in a two-channel setup. The mids are very satisfying and the highs are clear and precise. Vocals are rendered in a very natural fashion. The soundstage competes with the best. My wife, who is very musically inclined, even prefers them over my Acoustic Zen Adagios. A very different speaker and a matter of taste, but still high praise from a very musical person. I love them both for different reasons. To say that I am pleased with the results would be an understatement. In summary I think this must be one of the best values in speakers out there and they are made in the USA by a small entrepreneurial company. Give them a try - you will not be disappointed!

As a side note the speaker stands for the Volla speakers fit as if made for these speakers (rounded) - got them from MSS HIFI at a decent preice. Steve is planning on making stands for them as well in the near future.
The Coincident Pure Reference & Coincident Pure Reference Extreme's while expensive ($22,000 & $26,000)are the best total range speakers I have ever heard and the best bang for the buck. They use the most expensive Accuton ceramic tweeters and midranges, plus a pair of very expensive 12" diameter Nomex fibre cone subwoofer. Amazingly, they can be driven to loud levels by 8 watt or more tube amps. For those that value the most loud & gutsy performances one should either bi-amp them by using a Coincident Frankenstein Class A 8 watt/channel (MSRP $6,000 per pair) and another higher wattage amp for the subwoofer section. For me, the Frankenstein acquits itself very well for 95% of the music I play. It is only when playing something like the 1812 Overture or something else with extreme bass notes that it may need a more powerful amp, such as a Coincident Dragon at 75 class A watts/channel at $11,000/pr.

I haven't heard the new Coincident Technology Total Victory V's at MSRP $12,000/pr. It has a new ribbon tweeter, a pair of 7" paper-treated midrange drivers, and a pair of the outstanding 12" Nomex fibre subwoofer cones with each having a 15 lb magnet structure. As the previous Coincident Technology model, the Total Victory IV was $15,000--and this is the new and improved model of an already outstanding speaker and is less expensive, I can only imagine what a great bargain this speaker is--as the previous model had won numerous awards already.

The Coincident Technology Statement Linestage pre-amp at $5,000 is flat-out a steal for its performance. It is a 2-piece set-up which has an incredibly quiet and powerful power supply. The only downside is the fact that it only has 2 inputs, which may cause one to re-think their front end, unless you want to keep switching out your input cables. The only pre-amp at under $20,000 that may get close is the Einstein The Tube Mark II, at triple the price and the Audion Quattro at $15,000.

If you are into vinyl, the Coincident MM/MC Phono Stage (MSRP $5,499)is just about the equal of their great line stage. It also has an extra input for something like an SACD/CD player or tuner. It is a two-piece unit that weighs over 60 lbs and its power supply weighs over 40 lbs by itself, with enough capacity and energy storage to power a 100 watt amp.

Adding the prices of the Coincident Line Stage and the Coincident MM/MC Phono Stage one arrives at $10,500. The cheapest equivalent component would be the Audion Quattro at $15,000, which is also great and a bargain, as it has a great linestage and a great phono stage.

Greg