Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
I have scanned with interest this thread, seeking info about perceived differences between the First Sound family of linestages and the Supratek family.
It seems that a probable majority of posters prefers Supratek devices over the First Sound Presence II. On the other hand, First Sound has a wide range of devices, very much like Supratek, with approx 15 different models. A number of chassis ranging from 2 to 6 per unit. Power supplies ranging from approx 200K MF to over 500K MF. Choice of series step attenuators or ladder step attenuators in the volume controls. Choice of Holco or Vishay resistors in the volume controls. MIT, Cardas or custom copper capacitors. A variety of wiring and grounding designs.
I have not had the fortune yet of listening to either the First Sound directly, or the Supratek family as such I cannot comment on audible differences. yet I seem to have observed that the comparisons this far may have been mostly between various models of Supratek against the lower models of the First Sound lineup only. Has anyone performed some matrix comparisons? Or at least compared the higher end Supratek against the higher end First Sound models in the Paramount, Special Edition and Statement series?
You know, Guidocorona, your post has the bias of supposing that because the First Sound Presence Deluxe II is at the bottom of the First Sound family that it must by default really suck. You cannot be further from the truth, and frankly, you are doing yourself a disservice by discounting the Deluxe II so readily. Why is it that such elitism exists in this hobby, in which only $50,000 units can only be considered worthy? Hell, if you're sitting on a pot of gold, then buy the First Sound Paramount Statement and be done with your search. That is if the First Sound "house sound" is to your liking. How about putting forth the effort to actually hear a First Sound? It can't be that difficult. Contact Emmanuel Go and ask him how.

Good luck on your search, and apologies for the rant. I feel better.
Thank you TVAD, loved your post!
But no, alas I have no bias. Rather I think in matrices. I was just observing and pointing out the slightly skewed distribution of comparisons in this thread and tried, and should say succeeded, to elicit a reaction. I did speak to Emmaneuel just today: unfortunately there is no First Sound in Austin where I live. Next week I'll be travelling to D.C. but there is no FS dealer there either. There is a proud FS owner in Virginia, not far from D.C., but that is outside of the D.C area.
I should really kick myself though. In january I ended up in Florida in the general vicinity of High End Palace and should have visited there, but did not realize Larry Diaz carried First Sound at the time.
I am delighted that you are defending FS!!
Actually, I am also interested in anyone who has heard both First Sound and Supratek units in a reasonably direct comparison.
Guidocorona, I was not so much defending the First Sound as I was railing against those who feel that nothing less that the top-of-the-line offering from any manufacturer is worthwhile. This surfaces again and again in these posts with many brands. Nevertheless, I hope if you are seriously considering one of the more exclusive First Sound products, and not just pouring gasoline, then you'll pay the $400 or less that it might cost for round trip airfare to visit a dealer and hear one for yourself. You often post and ask questions about only the most esoteric and exclusive gear, and I can't quite figure out if you're seriously looking to purchase, or just window shopping on Park Avenue. Know what I mean?