Hi Fi Dealers in NYC - where to find them?

Here's a phenomenon I want to share with you. I'm not far from NY City but had a hard time finding decent hifi dealers where I can audition different gears (speakers, pre, power amp, turntable, etc) for buying in the future.

I know hifi dealer is becoming a rarity even in big cities like NYC. The two dealers in NYC I visited were snobbish, pushy and money-oriented. They were not willing to demo equipment that a customer is not buying on spot. I admit I'm not nearly as knowledgable as them. But a potential buyer needs to be educated by ways of auditioning.

Maybe they already have plenty of business. Aren't they loosing potential buyers because of the way they treat customers?

Anyhow, do you know any decent and friendly dealers in NYC, NJ and CT?

Thanks in advance.
r0817
Martykl and others,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'll stick with the more friendly dealers. While I understand the dealers' practice of qualifying customers, I just don't feel fairly treated when I have the intention to make purchase from a dealer who doesn't care about its potential customers.

Building a personal hifi system should be fun. We don't have to take the 'audio abuse' from those arrogant dealers.
Innovative Audio is great. I stopped by there on a visit about two years ago. I spoke with Elliott for some time. He was really a good guy. I stopped by another shop but they have since closed. I really can't remember the name but I auditioned the Magico M5 and V3.

Here's another nod to Innovative Audio. In my search for just-right monitors earlier this year, Bruce Deegan was informative and very accommodating. I did three separate, 2 1/2 hour auditioning sessions alone with the equipment and my own music, and, when I sought it, with Bruce's very perceptive insight into my listening preferences and guidance. It was customer service the way it should be. Indeed, I ultimately did not purchase from Innovative; but only because I decided on a speaker they don't carry, and Innovative was not put off in the slightest. We discussed the decision and they understood and endorsed it. When the upgrade urge next hits me, I will certainly return to Innovative; Bruce earned it.

Park Avenue Audio is still very much in business (a poster above wasn't sure). In fact, they are moving across the street to larger digs early next year, which will greatly and expand and improve listening room capacity. Glenn and Igor are good guys at Park Ave.

As others have noted, Stereo Exchange is approachable and has some good people working there. They also have interesting used equipment on the floor at fair prices. But the store gets very heavy foot traffic, and the staff is often distracted and pulled in different directions. Better to make an appointment.

I have been to most of the other NYC stores mentioned in this thread, and it's true that customers are too quickly sized up as either "ready cash," or not. It's unfortunate because in this town, the cover often does not reveal the book. My guess is that these stores needlessly are off-putting and lose sales to audiophiles who are serious buyers, albeit not hedge fund types.
Good luck with Audio Nexus. I need a sarcasm font on my keyboard. BA there. (bad attitude)