Krell versus Pass Labs

I have been a a Krell loyal fan for years and years. Recently I upgraded through several speakers to finally settle on the Apogee Diva Ultimate made by Rich Murry in NV. I've also owned the Caliper Ultimate but this new version of the Diva with all ribbon drivers and no transformers is simply amazing. Last weekend I listened to a recently rebuilt version of the Apogee full Range, one step up from mine and these are honestly probably the finest speakers on the planet and I've heard and owned a lot of others over the years, B&W, MBL and so on. One thing about these speakers is that they are completely full range they go past the human hearing on both ends easily. The other thing is that they are incredibly fast and ruthlessly revealing, I mean take no prisoners, it's all here like it or not.

I liked the sound with my Krell Cast system but I have also heard these speaker on other equipment and amps and was amazed how good they can be but my system was not there yet for some reason? Maybe it was just system matching? A friend recently loaned me a Pass X150.5 to try out so I plugged it into my Krell KCT with balanced hook-up. WOW, the high end edginess was gone, the tone quality was much better and more even from top to bottom, the pitch definition is impeccable! Day 2, now with it more warmed up the sound stage opened up a lot and it sounds so incredibly musical! I was stunned how good this little amp is, dynamically it is a champ and does not seem to care how hard you push it, it just sounds effortless regardless of how loud I'm pushing it. A friend who's ears I trust said the 150.5 and the 600.5 are the among the best he has heard with the Apogee's, I didn't think the 150.5 would have enough power but was I wrong. Where have I been why didn't I hear this sooner? I've heard Pass amps before and always liked them but this is in a different class all together than my Krell's.

I think in the end I'm going for the 600.5's and possibly a Audio Research Ref 5 SE? Talk about bang for the buck, the X150.5 is up there in that "cost no object class". Some like the class A amps better for their systems but for the Diva Ultimate I think the X150.5 is amazing. Listening to complex music at a level that is starting to get uncomfortable the meter will swing to about the 3/4 mark with plenty left in reserve, I never heard it compress or strain at all, not even a hint! I can think of several giant expensive amps that could not keep up with this little amp, it's articulation is so precise and effortless. For example to me it can better MBL and Krell mono's and I have been a loyal krell fan for 20+ years!

Rob
rminsf
Rob, I've always preffered Nelson Pass' work over Krell designs, even during Pass' Threshold years.
Rob,

I have some experience with Krell, Pass labs and ARC Ref 5se.

I borrowed a friend's Pass Lab X250.5 from a friend and I compared it to my Krell FPB 450 over a period of a week. The speakers were Revel Studio 1 and preamp was a Pass Lab X-1.

The X250.5 had smoother highs and slightly warmer vocal but the Krell had much better low end and better dynamics. Overall, I preferred the 450.

Over the last 18 months I did some major upgrading to my system. I replaced the Pass X-1 preamp with an ARC REF 5 SE and the Revel Studio 1 was replaced with the Salon 2 but still kept the FPB 450. The REF 5SE really changed the sound of the 450. The vocals was much fuller and had better imaging. The highs were smoother as well and still had the Krell signature low end. The REF5SE and Krell is a good combination.

REF5SE and Pass Labs may have mismatch impedance. Pass Labs tend to have low input impedance of around 20k Ohms so it might not work well with tube preamps. You should call ARC. Krell amps have 100k and their Evolution series are 200K so they work well with the REF 5SE. My friend has since sold his X250.5. He was using a tube preamp and the X250.5 did work in his system.

Something to think about before getting the Pass Labs and REF 5SE.

Rich
I had a older Krell KSA 250 and loved until it caught on fire.
I sent it to Krell for repairs and in the interim, I bought a Pass Labs X350.5 Amp.
I ended up selling the repaired Krell.

With the Pass Labs X350.5 I tried a Cary SP-O5 Preamp and noticed there was a loss of bass and general dynamics. I ended up selling the Cary and Purchased a Pass Labs Preamp (XP-10).
So, perhaps the Pass Amp doesnt work well with Tube equipment, or maybe it was just the Cary Preamp SP-05 only.
Worth noting and looking into though.