Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ethifi,

I used the CT2 (stereo) - 100K Ohm

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

It is not really hard to install. You will have to use a file to make a small slot in the attenuator hole of the Supratek chassis. The DACT has a small ear on the side of it to lock it in place in the chassis. As I recall, I think all I had to do to get the DACT to fit was to file a notch in the side of the hole for the DACT ear to fit through. I don't think I had to enlarge the hole, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, it wasn't really hard.

The soldering was rather straight forward. You simply need to make sure you solder the right leads to the right pins. Very little soldering to do, just take your time and be careful. The DACT pins seem somewhat fragile.

The only downside to the 100K Ohm attenuator is I can only turn the DACT up 2 or 3 clicks before things get too loud for my 98db speakers. However, I am changing speakers to a much less efficient speaker so the problem will be a non-issue soon.
Fiddler, thanks for sharing. In your opinion, which of the two upgrades (V-CAP or DACT) make a greater sonic improvement?
Thanks
Ethifi,

There is no doubt that the`V-Caps made the biggest difference. However, I did the DACT first and months later did the V-Caps, so I am sure I heard more of the V-Caps due to the added clarity of the DACT. Had I done the V-Caps first maybe the difference wouldn't have been so great. But in the order I did the mods, the V-Caps made a huge difference.
Does anyone have the gain specs on the Chardonnay? I've seen a value of 20 something somewhere??

Thanks
Mick wrote me in Nov that "... Gain is from 5 to 25dB depending on switch." The master switch at the back of the preamp controls the amount of gain from 5 to 25 dB.