New Speaker for Under 5K

I recently posted a discussion called, "New Cart for Under 1K". Throughout the many responses it had been concluded that the real issue with my system is my current speaker setup. Rather than continuing a conversation about speakers in a subject about cartridges, I decided to start a new post to stay on topic.

I've been listening to a bunch of new speakers lately and have given myself a budget of 5K or under. So far, I've listened to Atom, Monitor Audio, Spendor S3/5R2, Dynaduio Focus 260, and the Devore Orangutan 0/93 - being the only one priced above the 5K mark just for comparison measures. Here's what I found:

Atom: Something was missing, they were very forward, had nice highs, but just didn't produce music correctly.

Monitor Audio: Beautiful speaker, a little to accurate for my tastes.

Dynaudio: Did everything very well and nothing perfect. Since I listen to a diverse array of music, these were the best so far. Bass could be a bit improved, but not thin.

Spendor: Amazing with jazz and vocals, boring and dry with rock.

Orangutan: Amazing punchy bass, but very much like the Spendor's where the treble rolls off and lacks excitement with rock.

My focus is to find a speaker manufactured by a speaker company that only makes speakers. Therefore that companies bread and butter where other products cannot pick up the pieces financially should a certain product line not be successful. I'm also staying away from all metal based tweeters since for whatever reason harshness in the highs and sibilance is a major issue with my current Focal 936's (which I'm selling). My original thought was to buy a new cart, but I have come to conclude that I simply do not like my speakers.

The posts under, "Analog", "New Cart for Under 1K" was my original posting which was tremendously informative and helpful. Take a look there to understand the history of this new post.

Any recommendations on top of the speakers mentioned above?

David
davidlillis
Since I don't know what electronics your using or room dimensions I can only suggest 6 of the best all round speakers at approximately $5k or less(of course this is my opinion). All theses speakers are capable of bass 40hz or lower.
ATC-SCM 40
Elac-FS247BE
Focus Audio-FP 70SE
Gershman Acoustics-Sonogram
Magnepan 1.7
Stirling Broadcast LS3/6
David..if you have a large enough room I cannot recommend enough the formidable Polk LSIM 707. At $4K a pair it can easily go up against speakers in the $20K to $30K price range. Its large clocking in around a 100 pounds and is a four way design that will go all the way down to 22hz. Has one of the very best tweeter's on the market that is a in house design. Its common for Audiophile's to brush off Polk as a inferior speaker thats not Audiophile level which is a very stupid attitude. I previously owned the LSI 9's but the LSIM series takes it to a whole new level producing all the sonic qualities of the very best speakers such as hall effect, echo decay and three dimensional imaging with the very best detail with silky smooth highs and mids. If your room is mid size consider the $3K LSIM 705's which are 78 pounds and will go down to 24Hz. Their is no speaker on the market in the $3K to $4k price range that can better the Polk's. The Polk's sound their best with amps in the 200 too 500 watt range.
A lot of very helpful suggestions made above. I particularly like the suggestion of Vandersteen, the Sonus Faber Liuto, Maggies (if you have the room to place them correctly), Gershman, Proac, Martin Logan and Stirling (the Spendor classic box speakers, which include something similar to the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 is nice sounding too.

I would add to this list the Synthesis speaker (tall, very thin tower), Tyler Acoustics (the ones with the horn tweeter) and the cheaper Audionote speakers.
Here's my picks, all under budget and currently listed: Nola Contender 2600.00, Gallo Classico 4 2495.00, Sonus Faber Liuto 4200.00.
Everyone,

Thank you for all your input. I will demo as many speakers as I can from your suggestions prior to making a decision.

Soix,

I remember you recommending the Jospeh's and I will go to Park Ave Audio. I part own a small tech company and my average work week is 70 hours but I will get off my arse soon!

Thanks again everyone!

David