bricasti M1 vs Playback Designs MPD-3

Has anyone compared these two dacs and have commentary ?
hockey27
Sorry never even heard of the Bricasti M1 so can't comment, but own an MPD-3.

The MPD-3 is supreme on DSD - nothing touches it - it easily bests any PCM from any DAC I have head and believe me I have heard a few. PCM via the PD is another matter - its OK - but a number of other high end DAC's I have heard such as the Ayon, PDX or Killer bested it.

My suggestion is if you only have PCM I would look more towards another DAC than the MPD-3 but if you have or intend to have a significant amount of DSD get the PD.

Of course you should try to hear both in your system but I understand sometimes that's not easy.

Another DAC I would look into is the new Chord QuteHD - to my ears its better than the MPD-3 on PCM and nearly as good on DSD - I am getting a battery power supply built and with that it may even best the PD - we will see.

Thanks
Bill
The Bricasti is very very musical, that is high resolution without any mechanical sound....
Bricasti is in the process of updating the M1. It now features a new linear power supply and in the upcoming weeks it will support native DSD and higher sampling rates.

I own the M1 and only heard the 2 Playback Designs models at audio shows so I can't comment how they compare.
Gentlemen please.

I am a bit of a DAC nut having owned many DAC's and heard quite a few more. I also have people over my place, go over to others, and lend my DAC's out so I have a lot of experience with many DAC's in all sorts of different situations.

The fact of the matter is there is no objective truth such as saying DAC A is better than DAC B under all circumstances. On my system, and on systems similar to mine in that they have the same make of speaker, I find the PD via PCM not as good as other DAC's - still good mind you - but some other stuff is better. But by DSD, everyone who heard it, and this is unusual, normally there is dissent, the PD was clearly and obviously better. But when I lent it to someone I know who has an entirely different system he was less impressed - he thought DSD better but has a Mark Levinson DAC he thought better. Another guy I know who has the MPD-5 borrowed one of the DAC's I thought better on PCM - my PDX - and on his system preferred the PD even via PCM.

I post what I hear on my system with myself and others but it is vitally important to check it out on yours - vitally important.

Thanks
Bill