Lou Reed/Metallica "Lulu" just awful

Just checked out Lou Reed's latest album Lulu. He is backed by Metallica. Lulu may be one of the worst albums of all time.As a long time Reed fan I am willing to give him a certain amount of artistic license. However, this offering is simply unlistenable.
maxnewid
great posts. I love the old Reed stuff. When it comes to listening to rock and roll on the heavy side, I would rather listen to classic Sweet Jane off of Rock and Roll Animal than anything Metallica has ever released.But hey, that's just me. I guess I am showing my age because I prefer music that will stand the test of time.
I like a lot of the Velvet's material - and I suspect that it was really influential for guys like Brian Eno and the others who started the process of "abstracting" the r'n'r backbeat for more than momentum and urgency. I also like Reed's first solo album (s/t) and Berlin (almost despite myself). After that (1973?), my response to his records started a long, pretty steady decline. Only a few of his records over the last 40 years have registered for me at all.

Marty
MI8764ag,
It takes real adoration and pure BS to claim Lou made that album "intentionally bad" and the joke was on everyone. Trust me, Lou is hardly that bright, it was bad because an idiot made it nothing more. How can this guy be called brilliant is way beyond me, from his Velvet days and beyond he is stupidity amplified.
No worries Chad... but this is a good opportunity to say something...

My feeling: Before anyone disses Lou wholesale... they should really listen to Transformer, New Sensations, and New York. Lou Reed is actually fairly unique in staying relevant for at least 3 decades! How many other artists can you say that (and don't say the stones, they've been coasting since Tattoo you!...and don't get me started on The Who...farewell tour 1983 ..exactly.

Have you heard Twilight Reeling? I know that he often talks his songs... but very few can turn a phrase like Lou. Lou's been an incredible influence to many many many bands. He's just begun to take himself too seriously. If there wasn't a Velvet Underground you wouldn't have the Pixies, Nirvana, Weezer, and many others (yes, I know you crabby old ba$4ards are saying that would be a good thing right now ; ). The Velvet Underground opened the door for SO MUCH good music! They truly offered an alternative for formulaic British Pop.

I'll never get you guys that hate things without hearing it...let alone, listening to it.