Prog Rock

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/299126/different-kind-progressive-bradley-j-birzer

Attached is an article about the state of current progressive rock by a History professor at Hillsdale College. He highly recommends a band called Big Big Train. I listened to the samples on CDbaby and think it sounds like old Genesis. As a fan of old Yes, ELP, Renaissance, Todd Rundgren's Utopia,Marillion, Kansas, etc, are there any worthwhile prog bands to pursue in 2012? Keep in mind in this genre, I am looking for originality, musicianship, and a big vision. Speed and mindless repetition do not impress. I want to be able to enjoy my system, drink a little wine, and think.
maxnewid
Zebulon Pike. They are an all instrumental prog rock metal trio from Minneapolis. Great sound and great music.
Not a modern day outfit but popular in the 90's were Spock's Beard. I like their "V" (as in Roman numeral) Special Edition-great sound and playing. Also Porcupine Tree's "Metanoia". Am also a big fan of the old Gentle Giant-their live double album was excellent but I have that on vinyl so dont know if it's available on cd.
Actually Spocks Beard is very much alive and producing music. However, they are not producing the same quality of music that they were when Neal Morse was leading them, back in the 90's.

In fact, many people really liked Neal Morse's solo albums that he produced when he left SB, even though they are religion themed (he became a born again Christian).