HDTV transmitter/antenna information

I recently bought a HD receiver for my Direct TV and want to hook up an outdoor antenna to receive local networks etc.

I am having difficulty finding good information on what antenna to use and if it is likely that I could even receive HD from my location in Kalamazoo Michigan.

My receiver is a HR10-250 for Direct TV.

Any websites that can help? I have searched the archives on Agon and googled but no real answer.

ANY info is appreciated

thanks

Phil
128x128philjolet
GOTO: WWW.TERK.COM and then to bottom of home page

or www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Hope you have an outdoor antennta because
indor models don't work that well (at least for me).
I don't know the Kalamzoo area (except that Gibson made guitars there in the 60's, and now Heritage uses the facilities), but you need a good line-of-sight from your antenna to the HD transmiter antenna. Depending on antenna height and transmitter power, 30-40 miles is about the best you'll be able to do on distance. The HD transmitter is not always co-located with the main station transmitter.

Your local HD TV stations probably have web sites. Check these out and look for high def info. You can also call the engineer at each station descibing your location and asking for recommendations, or send him/her an email.
You might try avsforum.com Lot's of experience there. I've been using a Channel Master in my attic for the last few years to pick up the stations in Boston. This has worked pretty well for me except the Fox affiliate which, I believe, happens to be to closest tower to me at about 35 miles. It's either multipath or atmospheric. These over-the-air HD broadcasts are by far the best HD pictures, especially live events, with the exception of HD-Net.

OTA is kind of tricky and sometimes takes abit of luck. I would suggest trying a cheap UHF antenna first to see if you can even get a signal. My experience with Terk antenna's has been terrible. They just never worked for me. YMMV
Have you considered getting your local HD broadcasts via Direct TV? Does away with the need for a seperate antenna.