Dynamics at lower volumes?

Assuming appropriate source material, what technical characteristics of speakers/amps contribute to good dynamics at low to moderate volume levels? Are there are any speaker or amp designs that are thought to generally be inherently better at producing good dynamics at lower volumes?
midranger
Efficient speakers + high power SS = dynamics at lower volumes.

I recently experienced this listening to a pair of Acoustic Zen Crescendos and an Ayon CD-2 powered by a Wyred 4 Sound STI-500.

Face - there is something different with class D amps. They tend to play well at low volumes. I noticed it with my Rowland 102 but also read in review of class D amp later. Speakers I use now are 90dB.

Your STI-500 is also Icepower beast.
Tube amps sound better at low volumes because they compress dynamics. My Tact digital amplifier actually sounds more dynamic (a different way of sounding better at low volume) because it has a much better signal to noise ratio than a conventional solid state design.
Samujohn: I put the passive at the amp end and it is better. I own an Adcom 750, the 'Stereophile class A passive.. and stuck it at the end of my 25 foot Kimber Hero, the a very short sliver balanced fro the Adcom to the Bryston amp.
The available volume control at my main preamp is really wonderful about ten times the usable range as without the Adcom in there. Better. thaks for the tip!
Gain matching improves signal to noise ratio (which is right next to Godliness).
A simple resistor on the "hot" side of the amplifier input is all you need to do it correctly.
Here is how you can determine the value you need:
1. buy a few cheap resisters: (say two pair of 10K pair of 5K pair of 1K)
2. take a pair of junk interconnects, cut them in half and solder (or alligator clip) the 10K across the center wire and then reconnect the shield/ground side to complete the circuit. If 10K is not enough add more. When you decide what value resister you need, you can buy low noise Vishays or Caddocks from Parts Connection and solder them in. (When you sell the amp, just remove them.)