Which is more accurate: digital or vinyl?

More accurate, mind you, not better sounding. We've all agreed on that one already, right?

How about more precise?

Any metrics or quantitative facts to support your case is appreciated.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmapman
Orpheus10, are you suggesting that the brain can somehow fill in the mathematical missing rungs (gaps) of the harmonic ladder? If so, it does seem somewhat plausible. If not, then what? Please accept my apologies if I'm going too off topic here.
No, you're absolutely correct.

When I got my FCC license, I thought I knew everything; working with scopes, frequency meters, etc. There was nothing I couldn't measure; and then I got into high end audio. That was when I discovered those dumb "audiophiles" who didn't even know ohm's law, could hear things that I couldn't measure.

First of all, an audiophile has very good hearing. Once upon a time I said if two amps measure the same, they sound the same; of course you know I was wrong, and so it is with harmonics, we can hear in between the rungs.
In addition, harmonics are always presented as a lower frequency affecting a higher frequency, but never how higher frequencies affect lower frequencies. I'm saying these higher, inaudible frequencies affect lower frequencies. Can anyone shed light on that.
Please pardon me while I abuse the analogy to extrapolate enough to put the ladder on shaky ground; one might presume that the more rungs that are actually there, the less the brain has to work at filling in the missing rungs, even if one is scaling the ladder blind folded.

Oops, I think I may have fallen off the high end, and into the deep fertilizer. :-)

While "harmonics" are unrelated to the subject, they are very much related to what we hear as audiophiles.

My new stance on this subject is totally unscientific, because "high end" audiophiles hear things that go beyond any instruments ability to measure. When CD's came out, I bought them to hear the same music I had on LP, only better. One CD in particular was inferior to the LP, it lacked "nuance"; and as jazz lovers know "nuance" is everything.

I down loaded this LP to my computer, and on playback all the "nuance" was there; complete with record noise. What do you make of that?