PC/Squeezebox v Mac Mini

O.K. I've got two options for a music server setup. Since I'll be using the DAC in my Rotel tuner, my goal is simply to get the music data cleanly from the HD to the Rotel, and to control the music jukebox in the living room (where the stereo equipment is) with a nice GUI ("graphical user interface" or "menu" for non computer geeks).

Option 1: PC/Squeezebox - Purchase a Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 for my living room (where the audio equipment is) and an additional HD for my existing PC in my den. Communicate wirelessly between the two and connect the SB to the Rotel via toslink (optical cable).

This option is about $400. From what I've read, sound quality should be excellent, but computer in the den will always need to be on and the door of the desk it is in will always need to be open. GUI (menus) on the SB may be small on the couch (18 feet away).

Option 2: Mac Mini - Purchase a Mac Mini and place in the living room with the Rotel. Connect the mini to the rotel with a "mini optical-to-toslink" cable, and to the Plasma display via DVI.

This option is about $700 (with cable). Better GUI for music selection plus DVD and photo capability. There is some question as to the quality of the digital out (which I'm not sure if that is a legitimate question or not). "Always on" should not be a problem as the box will not be in a closed environment, and should be quiet in the living room). The question here is really sound quality and price.

Option 3: Other devices. Are there other network wireless devices with toslink out that have a GUI that can control the player in the living room?

Any opinions and/or experience using the above equipment would be appreciated.
baylorgator
Drubin - Mac Mini is the computer/server, so the only interlink would be the optical cable to the Rotel. That's really a big part of the question: is the optical output on the mini through the mini/toslink cable 100% "lossless"?

Others -- can you see the squeezebox display 20 feet away?
That's not what I mean. With the SB, it functions as the user interface for selecting songs or albums or whatever from your computer. If you use the Mac Mini solution, how will you make those selections? What is the user interface to the music?
The new intel based mac mini comes with a remote and has its own interface called front row. It basically looks and feels like the ipod menu system and allows you to chose DVD, Music, Video, or Pictures, and then control each with simple up, down, right and left on your remote.

(Since all my audio and HT components are run by my harmony remote, I'd prefer not to have to use an extra remote like a PDA. The harmony will handle the mac or squeezebox flawlessly.
Hi Baylorgator,

I have been looking at the Squeezebox or the Opus Musica as my main options. I ruled out having a computer in the stereo cabinet because it was too hard to figure out how to do a remote. Your Mac Mini option sounds intriguing. Questions:

1. Is the remote infrared, or RF?

2. How noisy is the Mac Mini? Note that the Squeezebox is completely silent (no moving parts). The Musica is said to be pretty quiet (no fan, and hard drive chosen for low volume). If the Mini has a fan, it may be considerably noisier than the other two options.

Finally, comments on the network piece of the squeezebox. First, why do you think you'd need to leave the door where your computer is stored open? Second, can you run wire and skip the wireless part?

Cordially,

Eric