Richard Green room tune?

Has anyone used the freestanding Richard Green room tune or tune packs acoustical treatements? To what results? I'm looking to tame the brightness in my 11 x 15 room.
dgplo
Trelja, you are correct that the Michael Green and the first generation Eighth Nerve products are very similar. The second generation Eighth Nerve stuff uses the same idea but is more effective. The idea behind these products is to trap the energy that goes into the corners. In order to do this the front surface reflects and the back absorbs with space around the edges to let the energy get behind. You will need to incorporate this into your DIY because without the reflective surface they will not work as intended.

Even though I'm sure they will be better than nothing, given the fact that manufacturers go through many prototypes with a wide variety of materials to finalize their designs it seems unlikely you will hit upon the most effective combination of materials and dimensions on your first try. Of course the journey is sometimes more fun than the destination so enjoy your project. It will be interesting to hear (pun intended) how well your version works.
Why not redirect energy? Energy is hard to come by and is gone in an instant.Why do we try to tame the wild, with all the resources we generate, and then expend, in trying to capture the energy to be diminished..Its dynamic, don't let it go, use it, focus it. Just a thought or few. Tom
I agree, most people when trying to deal with a room put in way too much absorption. Most recording studios do too. I think that is one reason most live recordings have an energy that most studio recordings lack.

If you look at the Eighth Nerve products and philosophy they only deal with the nastiness that comes back at you from the corners.
Herman, thank you for your input!

As you stated, the journey can be more fun than the destination. I have read up on the subject extensively, and Jon Risch's website was the most informative, as it normally is, regarding the DIY Room Tunes. He goes into full detail as to what you are conveying, and it does make a lot of sense. His plans produce these designs with differing characteristics on each side of the device, making them more "tuneable" than either company offers.

In the end, if this route is the correct one to address my issues, I am confident I can achieve the same type of results as either company.
The energy IS the problem. Especially when you have brightness sticking an icepick in your brain when someone hits a high note. If that's the case, which it is for me, nothing else matters. I've been listening to headphones. Redirecting energy would be good, but the cost or complexity of a project to build or buy diffusors to cover a large room would be rediculous. Too much bsorbtion makes the music dark and not worth listening to either. Room tunes (both brands) use the same technique as a lot of others. absorb, but have reflective a reflective serfice that will keep the high freq bouncing around. Will it help with brightness I don't know.

"Even though I'm sure they will be better than nothing, given the fact that manufacturers go through many prototypes with a wide variety of materials to finalize their designs it seems unlikely you will hit upon the most effective combination of materials and dimensions on your first try."

Some do - some don't. Obviously, if you see fiberglass or wool and a reflective surface, they didn't put a lot of R&D into it. That's all most acoustic treatment is. And given the price, I would assume they know that we know.