1000.00 to spend what would you buy?

i started a simular thread but not too many people have given me any advice. i have a fisher x-202-b that i recently had work done to. overall i got the amp back with updated capacitors and the unit sounds dead. i want to upgrade to more modern equipment. i figure i have 1000 or so bucks to blow on something. what would be the best bang for the buck as far as a new amp/preamp would be? i listen to music at very low levels at night with dynaco a=25's so power is not the most important thing for me. would concider solid state as well if someone can point me in the right direction.
clevelandhifi

Showing 1 response by 55dok

I would consider a vintage luxman receiver R115 (70+/ch) or the R117 (160/ch). These cost $125-300 respectively on Ebay etc. You can get a lightly used sony 222 or 333es sacd player for $200-300. For speakers, it depends on what kind of space you have. I like planar speakers such as magnepans and you should be able to get MMGs etc to use up the rest of your cash. You'll need to be able to place them 3 to 5 feet from your wall. If you want box speakers someone else will have to make the recommendation. Good luck