A DAC that can make digital sound analog?

Hi All,

I have a ModWright Oppo 105D. It’s excellent....but it sure don’t sound like vinyl or tape.

What DACs have you heard that really work like magic on digital audio files? 

I am interested in DACs that kill that digital glare/blare, that gives you that sense of ‘blackness’ or ‘darkness’ to the audio soundscape, really letting you hear into the mix...ya know that layering, space and depth that is very evident on tape.

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee
I listened to a 3 3/4 version of Jethro Tulls Aqualung a few nights ago. I didn’t have high expectations cus of the ips and the fact that that album does not sound good on CD. 

The tape was a joy to listen to. So integrated, pleasant, cohesive. Wondering Aloud was sublime...perfect.
Is it me or does digital often feel like too much information? Maybe too much of what isn’t essential...? Dunno. There is almost a ‘shout’ or ‘all on’ quality to it. I often explain it as the sensation of there being no room for the listener in much of digital playback.
Too much information? No its just information not resolved or framed well. A good DAC or CD player shouldn't do this. My evaluation technique is to not actively listen and see if the sound draws me into the performance or is it a wall of sound or becomes annoying in the background. How it hits me on a subconscious level. In my experience vinyl kills digital when evaluated this way.
wow.. that Wish You Were Here SACD is awesome.. you can hear the dude's breath blowing through the sax on Sine On You Crazy Diamond.. 
The Resolution Audio Cantata system sounds really good; natural, refined, no digital nasties. Metrum, also. At more stratospheric prices, well, Nagra and TotalDac.