Are Mac and PC equal?

Can a PC be just as good of a music server as Mac if set up properly? Can a PC with foobar2000 or Jriver work just as good as a mac setup with iTunes or whatever storage and streaming options exist? My portable external hard drive has flac and mp3 files, and I will stream spotify or tidal, pandora, Internet radio, etc.
Can I buy a PC tower or laptop (and if so what features/system requirements do I need for a great system) and get results equal to a mac? Digital files & streaming will go to an external DAC then an integrated amp and tower speakers. Thanks.
128x128labguy

Showing 3 responses by zd542

For audio, I use Windows and Linux. But I wouldn't buy a pre built PC. In most cases, the parts they use are very low quality. Its easy enough to buy the parts and put it all together yourself. Then you know its done right.
"04-01-15: Yioryos
I am sorry for asking this,but what exactly is Tidal?"

http://tidal.com/us
I like Mac's myself, but for audio I cant bring myself to use one. If you compare the quality of components that you can hand select for a PC build, a Mac is a hard purchase to justify. I do understand that a Mac is more robust and reliable, but if you're just using the PC for music, you shouldn't have any problems. Not only that, once you install Windows, its a very simple matter to install a Linux distro that boots along side it. When you need to go online, just use Linux instead of windows.