Audio Aero Capitole - 6021W subminiature tube ??

I would appreciate hearing from someone who can explain the performance of these tubes in the Capitole, including the typical life of the tubes, whether they are susceptible to becomming microphonic or noisy, and how to purchase or change them if necessary. I believe I read these are really small (like the diameter of a pencil) and that they are soldered onto the board. If that is true, is it then necessary to send the player back to the distributor or manufacturer if they need replaced, or are these readily available and set up for user installation? How many years is typical for the tubes to perform in the Capitole before replacement is necessary? Thanks.
mitch2

Showing 9 responses by sorlowski

Hello everybody,
Since it is capitole thread maybe somebody had similar problem.
When my monoblocks (Clayton M100) are connected to my CDP Audio Aero Capitole mkII with XLR interconnect, there is pretty audible white noise. When I disconnect XLR connection noise disappears. Noise have constant level in both channels. When Claytons are connected to CDP with RCA interconnect there is no noise, dead quiet.
Any idea why ? Any suggestion. Is not supposed XLR to be quieter connection ? I have tried many different RCA, XLR cables, always the some, so problem is not in a particular cables make, but in the connection itself. problem must be either with AA Cap or with Clayton.
That is an interesting thought. Is it not normalized, especially that both Clayton and AA cap are products designed for US market. US How do I check that ?
After all hassle appeared that Clayton's have been OK. And AA Cap finally died on me. There is no sound anymore, only quiet hum is coming out of both speakers. So I'm going to take advantage of my misfortune and upgrade it. I'm planning to replace Hovland Musicap with VCap CuTF caps, and Philips Jan 6021W with Sylvania . I have heard that Sylvania's are the best 6021W ? Is it much difference between plain Sylvania's and cryoed Sylvania ? Where can I buy cryoed Sylvania's, I'm having not luck finding them.
I have done tests with multimeter, happens that I have Fluke, so I could get pretty exact measurements.

>check for continuity between xlr pin 1 and the ground sleeve of an rca connector

there is continuity 0.14ohm which is 0 for my Fluke.

AA Cap
RCA - 0,52 ohm
XLR - pin 1,2 0,45ohm
XLR - pin 1,3 0,57ohm
XLR - pin 2,3 0,83ohm

I was surprised how low output resistance of this CDP is.

Clayton
RCA - infinity
XLR - pin 1,2 0,85ohm
XLR - pin 1,3 infinity
XLR - pin 2,3 infinity

So it seems like Clayton is not a balanced amp, he is is the culprit, am I right ?
1) Yes I did measurements with power off.
2) Yes I meant 0.45ohm

I did some additional measurements:
Clayton:
XLR Pin 1, ground (on chassis) 0.28ohm
XLR Pin 2, ground (on chassis) 0.9ohm
XLR Pin 3, ground (on chassis) 22Mohm and falling

XLR Pin 1, RCA ground 0.18ohm
XLR Pin 2, RCA ground 0.8ohm
XLR Pin 3, RCA ground 32Mohm constant

Thank you for your interest.
So I went in quest for XLR to RCA adapter.
I have found one gold plated which I liked.
But it got PIN3 disconnected and PIN2 connected to center pin of RCA plug.

But looking at my measurement I need one with PIN 2 disconnected and PIN3 connected to center pin of RCA plug.

So appear that XLR wiring is not universal or my Clayton’s quasi-balanced XLR inputs are wired wrong way ?

Or they are two schools of wiring quasi balanced input in power apms?
About my recent modification:
I have changed Musicaps in my AA Cap to VCap CuTF ($202). After 500 hours of burn in I have started my audition. I hoped that there would be any difference, to my surprise I have got real increase in transparent and resolution. But under the stipulation that AA was powered from AudioMagic Elipse. When powered directly from mains, differences are negligible. Now music is much more involving. Best upgrade I have done recently.
I was so excited about my "reasonably cheap" upgrade success, I decided to upgraded my Jan Philips 6021W stock tubes to cryo Sylvania 6021W.
Another 500 hours of burn in, and I have started my audition, no change in resolution, transparency, but I have lost bass impact and dynamics, I'm really frustrated.

How this could have happened, are not Sylvania's supposed to be better ?
Maybe Sylvania simply do not work well with VCap's ?
Did anybody tried Sylvania's in AA vs Philips ?
What were the results ?
I do not know what to do, pay technician to resoldier my old Philips, or maybe process of soldering tubes charged electrostatically AA board and I have to wait longer for it to discharge ...
What was wrong, good question... nobody knows.
After months of fruitless repairs, appeared that he did not like my Legrand Power Strip to which my Audio Magic Eclipse was connected, AA was connected to Eclipse. I had to connect Eclipse to power strip which do not have any reactive elements, just the cheapest, simplest one I could buy. My AA is very finicky when it comes to power supply. It works from one socket at home and do not from another. I know it sounds crazy. I have asked electronics engineer about that, he was flabbergasted and could not explain it seeing it by himself.
Important now it works.

I get Sylvania's in Finland:
http://vacuum-tube-shop.com/. Have sent them for cryo treatment to: http://cryoset.com/ (really cheap).

Do you know if in SE upgrade Philips or Sylvania 6021 W are used ?