Audionote Soro SE, or cheaper single-ended?

Hi,

I'm looking for a budget single-ended intergrated amp. The Soro, at about $1300 used, is as high as I'd want to go. Should I consider the alternatives, like Radii or Dared, or is Audio Note heads and shoulders above those?

Thanks!
lousyreeds1
Not an integrated, Oliver, but if you want stellar sound, buy a pair of George Wright Mono 3.5's and run them direct into a CD player with internal preamp OR with stepped attenuators. You could also use a passive preamp. For $1430 new, I don't think you will find better for many dollars more. If you are patient, you can find a pair for around $1000 on the used market. In a comparison with 5 other high end SET/OTL's, they bested every one, the highest priced costing $30K. I kid you not.
Hi Howard, indeed, I've done quite a bit of research on these since you first taught be about SET last year. I contacted Alan Yun at Silverline, (I have the SR15's) and he told me that at 90dB efficiency 3.5 watts would be pushing it. Though if I ever move up to even slightly more efficient speakers, these will be my amps.

Would you mind telling me what other amps you compared the Wright's too? Thanks!
IMHO, sure 90db will make sound with 3.5 Watt but lack of lower frequency response. Even for 93~94 db, 3.5 Watt can't produce the bass right. Lack of punch and dynamic.
If you have an active sub to go with it then it will work fine.
Sorry, Oliver. I had forgotten that you had the SR15's. I don't know how I would, since they've come up in many a discussion. I've had the Wright's mated with a pair of 90dB speakers, and it worked, though not nearly as well as with our 104dB horns.

The comparison I was speaking of involving the Wright's was conducted by 5 or 6 reviewers for audio publications, and it was their consensus that the Wrights sounded the most "right". Personally--and I'm sure that I am forgetting some--I've heard the deHavilland SET's, two or three Audio Note examples, of course the Audion (which we still own), several DIY's, Decware, and several others. As has been mentioned here, his 2A3 SET's don't have a big bass presence. We are using them with a powered sub, so we don't lack for bass. Certainly, they don't do everything, but honesty is their forte.

With your Silverline's, an Audion Sterling MKII would be an outstanding match. It's a one-source, 12W EL34 'integrated' (with volume attenuator) that turns ultralinear at a specific volume. You get outstanding SET midrange, as well as tight, punchy bass. They were $2100 retail, so a used/demo example would likely be right in your price range. The MKII is far better than the standard version, in my opinion.

I hope you are doing well, and enjoy the show you are attending in England.
Howard