Audioquest Niagara 5000 or 7000

Anyone have any experience with either of these two Products?  I find them intriguing and might consider buying one.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjoesolek
Joe - "IF" your power supply is particularly "dirty" they may help.

"IF NOT" - The outlets in the back of the unit will probably provide the most benefit - the rest of the internal circuits will probably not provide any real benefit.

Furutech has a couple of distribution boxes without filters that work very well, just because of the quality of the outlets.

What will provide benefits are - effective power cables.

KLE Innovations have a few power cables that would be of benefit

Others from Pangea, Signal Cables and Less Loss are pretty good

If you are into DIY you can try my own design - see
http://image99.net/blog/index.html

Power conditioners and Power generators are very effective in areas with noisy power supplies into the house.

You do normally hear improvements, but as I said, it's mostly due to the better quality outlets in them.

Regards...

Much will depend upon your locale.

Do you live in or near a major U.S. city? If so, one of these models will be right for you.

If you live far outside of a U.S. city or rural area(s), then, you will not require one.

Happy Listening!

I live in a suburb of Chicago.  When I am at the manufacturer's website I am lead to believe, that regardless of the ac noise, these to units would impart a sonic improvement to my equipment.  I read a favorable review in a print mag about 2-3 months ago about the positive effect the 7000 had on a system.
jafant

If you live far outside of a U.S. city or rural area(s), then, you will not require one.

I'm not sure why you think this. There are many variables in AC power, including how well the utility maintains its system. Living in a rural area is no guarantee of clean power. In farming communities, equipment used by farmers (such as milking machines) can be as much of an influencing factor as manufacturing equipment in urban areas.

cleeds-

point taken. My experience has been that rural (not desolate) living is favorable to major city / grid congested living.

Yes, the power company or a quality home generator will be beneficial.

Happy Listening!

joesolek-

a dedicated line should be under consideration. The suburb(s) of Chicago

are very nice living indeed.  Happy Listening!

jafant I just had a dedicated 20 amp line installed with an Audioquest NRG outlet.
I have the Niagara 5000. I’d say it definitely has no negative impact, but in my situation it certainly wasn’t a life changer. I do think we have clean power here so for someone with dirty power it might make a bigger difference. What you do get, and I needed, is non-sacrificial surge protection as well as high voltage protection. It is a well built unit and the plugs have perhaps an even stronger grip than advertised. The difference between the 5000 and 7000, besides $4K in cost, are the isolation transformers for the lower powered components in the 7000. The high current bank is identical between the 5000 and 7000. One thing to consider is the 7000 can have some transformer hum, which can be increased if using it with tube electronics. The 5000 operates dead silent.

Very nice! joesolek

I would give it 6 months trial period prior to buying any Power/Line Conditioners.

Happy Listening!

Keep me posted- tdimler

as you massage this conditioner into your system.

Happy Listening!

Well, I bought the 5000 and hooked it up on Friday.  It has improved my system.  Bass is more authoritative.  Vocals more distinct and forward.  Never thought that I would say this, but there is more "air" around the instruments.  Noticeable audio improvement all around.  I have to live with it for a longer time, but this is my initial positive impression.  Pretty happy.
Joesek: On the fence on buying a Nigeria 5000. 
4000.00 is a lot of money for " slight " improvement in sonic clarity! My question is if the 5000 were removed from your system equation, would you perceive a major reduction in performance! Whole lot cheaper to boost db levels in a processor for slight change! Your thoughts please!
The honest answer is ........no. I would not perceive a major difference.  Subtle.
It's pretty easy to determine.  

Listen to your system over a few weeks at 2AM or another time when electricity usage is low vs other times of high usage like 8PM on a weeknight.  If there's a significant difference and you'd like your system to sound more like the low usage times all the time you get a quality power conditioner.  

I live in a city; the difference was pretty dramatic.
I simply changed from using an Audioquest Niagara 1000 and Torus RM15 to the Torus RM20. Not a night and day difference,  but significant. I don't know why, but I'm happy with the results.

Joesolek: thank you! Sorry it took so long to respond! You just saved me a chunk of money ! Nigeria 5000 is no longer a consideration! Oh, own a P5 PS Audio! It's a regenerator not conditioner! Some differences in sonic capabilities but biggest help is to my Oled TV! FYI
I discovered this thread quite a bit after it was relevant, but thought I’d add my comments in case anyone else is considered this product line.

I became an AQ dealer specifically because I thought Niagara seemed to represent an advance in power conditioning. The 5000 wasn’t available at the time so the 7000 was what I brought into the listening room to power both a 2 channel and more modest home theater system.

Being in NYC we may have more power problems than those in suburban areas, but the 7000 brought significant benefits to our demo system, with mono block BHK 300’s plugged in.

Dynamics actually improved since more current is available for short bursts, which is not something one typically thinks of a power conditioner doing.

The TAD CR1’S speakers we use are highly revealing, and the Niagara 7000 has Added low level detail and naturalness to the presentation.  It also removed a bit of a ragged quality. 

What I was not prepared for was the improvement to separate home theater system, which is no where at the level of the 2 channel system. All of a sudden I was hearing a much more refined system, smoother with strings that seem to hang in mid air, reminding me of a high end 2 channel system and not HT.

While I’ve not heard the 1000 or 5000 I can attest that the 7000 took both systems (plugged in at the same time and isolated from each other) to another level of musical refinement and dynamics.
Another great aspect is that only 1 AC line is needed.  

Luckily I get to hear live unamplified music from up close often, so my reference is live music and not other audio systems.

Thanks! for sharing- emailists
which brands to you guys represent?
Happy Listening!
I recently bought a 7000 and after several hours of listening I can honestly say it has made a significant improvement.  The biggest difference for me is when listening to classical or jazz.  The subtleties of the instruments really come alive compared to without the power conditioner.  I was using a Richard Gray RGPC 400 Pro previously, which gave no noticeable improvement to my ears.  
I got a great deal on the 7000 (dealer demo unit) so I couldn't pass it up.  Hard to justify paying full price probably.  
snackeyp

what gear including cabling is in your system?
I use a RGPC 400 Pro as well.

Happy Listening!
As I have no firsthand experience with either the PS audio, or the AQ products, I can’t comment. However, I’ve experienced the Wells Looking Glass. In the system I heard it in, it made a sizeable difference (to my ears). Now, it’s a passive line conditioner, not an active, or power regenerator. It’s also around 2k. I know the PS and the AQ are considerably more, due to the fact they are a different product. I’m considering the Wells. 
jafant, I have a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated amp, Harbeth 40.1 speakers, SME 20/2 TT, Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge, Parasound JC3+ phone preamp.  Speaker cables are Clear Day Cables Double Shotgun.  RCA ICs are Clear Day Cables.  Power cables are a mix of Shunyata, Nordost and Furutech, but all of them are entry level.  I just ordered a Audioquest Thunder cord to run from the Niagara 7000 to the wall.  If I like it I will buy a second one to run from the 7000 to the amp.  
The 7000 is getting better and better with every session.  It is simply addictive.  
I ask because you possibly could get 85% or better (there) with 15% of the investment?
Where is the AQ Niagara 1000, 5000 & 7000 made?

A few earlier online/magazine reviews said it was USA, but I have heard recently from friends that it is made in Taiwan.
Anybody cares to verify?  Thank you.
AQ published a video tour of their Irvine CA headquarters, that shows their 7000 assembly stations (presumably 5000 as well?). And the capacitor burn-in machine in a different part of the building. There’s a lot of stuff that goes into those boxes!

If any of those are assembled in Taiwan, it would have to be the 1000.
slaw,

I have 16 of the HF MC-05's in my system using 3 dedicated lines.
I also have the Core Tech CPT 1800 balanced power.

ozzy
@ozzy ,

Right now I have a total of 6, three on each of my two dedicated lines. A 2nd generation Hydra on each.

I've been impressed with what I've read regarding the Core Tech, I'd have to change out too many power cords with the way I have my system set-up to integrate one. I felt the HFC MC-05s were the best option for me and after I heard what just two did, I was hooked.
Also saw the new Storm series cables are made in China, as printed on the box. Hmm...
@hamburger
Audioquest’s wire and cable braids have been made in China for many years now, since the cat-series interconnects. They are terminated (at least the upper lines), packaged and serviced in their USA headquarters. Not sure about their current high-end connectors (which are wonderful, across all types of cable speaker/power/IC), but when they used the Bocchino audio (RCA/XLR), those would have been made in Australia.

The 5000 and 7000 are definitely assembled in USA, and it appears to be quite a job.
Thanks! for posting hamburger
this confirms the rumors that AQ cabling is sourced to china.
Good to read that the 5000 and 7000 conditioners are made in U.S.A.
Happy Listening!
Post removed 
Maybe some think made in or assembled in China some how makes the component inferior to components made in the USA? 
iPhones are made in China :-)
As long as the product serves its functions and has the reliability based on its design, I am good.

I asked about Audioquest because they have a few factories worldwide and I was just curious where they are made.

I have dedicated lines and I was planning to use a Niagara 1000 with my digital equipment in one dedicated line and a Niagara 5000 on another line to power my Amp, Preamp etc.  

Or would it be advantages to just plug the Niagara 1000 (still with my digital gear plugged into it) into the Niagara 5000?

ozzy
"Can you plug one Niagara Series product into another?
Please do not. As all of the current Niagara Series products utilize a linearized filter, plugging one into another would place two filters in series, and, in this instance, more is not a better thing… Doing so would create non-linear (inconsistent) filtering via resonance ringing modes. In many instances, parallel operation can work, but series operation should be avoided."
https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-niagara-series-faq.html
I now own a Niagara 7000 and it quite frankly surprised me with increased dynamics, better more powerful bass, better space and clear precise images. The increased dynamic's is what hit me first.

I am using the 7000 on one dedicated line that has my mono amps, preamp, QOL, PS Direct Stream Dac and CD player, Bryston BDP 2 usb player, Tascam HR recorder, and a AC/DC power supply for my hard drives and Uptone LPS-2 power supplies.  And a 85" Samsung TV.
In other words, I have most everything audio plugged into it. 

I also have a separate dedicated line for my JL F-113 subs. And a 3rd dedicated outlet with a Niagara 1000 powering my Home theater equipment.

Really impressed!

ozzy