Auralic Aries w NOS DAC

Hi folks,

I'm intrigued by the new Auralic Aries server/streamer device. I love the idea of streaming lossless digital content from Tidal, etc direct to my Red Wine Audio DAC, and I love its ability to pull music from a hard drive over wifi as well. But here's the thing: I have the NOS version of the Red Wine DAC and zero need/interest in upgrading to the high-res version, and the Auralic Aries seems very focused on enabling 192k DSD content. I get that, I admire it, but it's not relevant for me. Would the Aries be total overkill with the Red Wine NOS DAC? If so, does anyone know of a cheaper option with similar functionality and great sound quality? I know that Sonos basically offers this functionality, but I'm looking for true audiophile sound quality.

Thanks as always.
lousyreeds1
There are two versions of the Aries, with a significant price difference.
Right - and one of the questions is whether there will be a major difference between the two Aries models if you have an NOS DAC that's not capable of hi-res. Would be interested to hear if anyone has thoughts on that.

Also, has anyone compared the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy reclocker against the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh? Same functionality, $200 price difference.

It seems to me that there are four good options here at different price points, and I'd appreciate thoughts on the level at which one will "max out" a good NOS DAC:

Wyred 4 Sound Remedy (Apple TV/Pure i20 as transport) - $400
Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh (Apple TV/Pure i20 as transport) - $600
Auralic Aries LE - $1000
Auralic Aries - $1600
I would give Steve at empirical audio a call. He seems willing to offer his advice freely and is knowledgeable when it comes to digital audio.
I have been looking into these same issues. I want to stream Tidal into a Bryton BDA-1 DAC. I don't have ripped CDs and will really just be streaming Tidal. I investigated Sonos with W4S or Empirical Audio and came to the conclusion that Empirical Audio might have the edge if I also purchased Empirical Audio's upgraded power supply (the Dynamo) and bnc cable. But then you are in the price realm of the more expensive version of the Aries. So I am still not sure what to do but the fact that reports are so postive here on a Tidal with Aries makes me lean that way. I am also tempted because of Tidal's recent announcement that it was planning to develop hi resolution streaming, which would be irrelevant with Sonos. But this is also irrelevant to the original query here. Good luck! Margot
Hi Margot,

Have you actually compared the W4S and Empirical Audio? If so I'd be interested in your notes. Without any of the upgrades, the W4S and Empirical Audio appear to be exactly the same thing with a $200 price difference...