B&W 803D2 for $4,500?

I've got the option to buy a pair of B&W 803d2 speakers in mint condition for $4,500 (from the original owner).  I currently have a pair of 804s speakers and an HTM3s center.  Should I jump at this chance?  I haven't really kept on top of recent pricing but this seems incredibly low.  Would the match with my center be just terrible, though?
win200

Showing 1 response by gregkohanmim

Win200- 

No doubt that the 803D2s are nice speakers and the price seems reasonable, but if I were in your situation, I think I might apply that same $4,500 for an original pair of N802s instead which should be doable at that price (or close).  Since the N802's also don't have diamond tweeters as your existing speakers, I would put the 802s up front, leave the center alone and use your 804s for your surrounds.

Only hesitation I would have in this recommendation is if you don't have the amps to power it all.

All that said, to answer your very specific question, I think that match would be OK, but the center might sound a little dull compared to the D2s but EQ/gain on that channel should be able to balance it out assuming your processor has that ability.

Greg