B&W 804's Vs. Vienna Acoustic Beethoven

Has anyone compared the B&W 804's and the Vienna Acoustic Beethoven speakers?

I have a Denon AVR4802, and want speakers that will be good for all types of Music (Clasical, Blues, Rock, etc.), and Home Theater.

I listened to both speakers, but not at the same store. The Beethovens seemed to have more Bass, and better Imaging.

What do you think?
scottaramb423

Showing 1 response by rlb61

I've gotta disagree regarding the N804 analysis. Granted, the 804s don't have DEEP, booming bass. However, they do bass extremey well depending on the particular recording. Well recorded/mastered bass sounds extremely robust on the 804s while poorly recorded/mastered bass does sound lean.

I happen to love the sound of the 804s. To me, they sound "right." I picked them over the 803s since I didn't hear THAT startling a difference. The big step up would've been the 802s if $$$ had permitted.

It's also true that the 804s require really great power and components to really sing. I've got a Musical Fidelity set up (Nu-Vista CD, A3cr preamp and A300cr power amp at 225 wpc) coupled with Coincident CST-1 speaker cable. This set up does wonders for the 804 and makes them sound fabulous. Also, I sit about 8' from the speakers.

I don't think B&W is garbage at all or that the Nautilus line is a failure. Their sound may not be for everyone, but they are great speakers nevertheless.