Best 300B

Can anyone compare the new Genelex PX300B tube to either Svetlana 300B's, Western Electric 300B's, Sophia 300B mesh plates,newer KR300B tubes or Electro Harmonix 300B's.

From my experience the Svetlanas sound a lot like the Western Electric 300B reissues. New KR300b's are better than the older KR VV32B's, KR VV300B's or KR VV302B's and all the above are better than Electro Harmonix 300B's

My Sophia Mesh Plates sounded very good in my Manley Retros but after several listening sessions I put them back in their boxes because the bias kept changing at the recommended setting. Whenever I get around to it I'm going to compare them to others in one of my self biasing amps.

Thanks in advance,
Ron
128x128vv32bl

Showing 12 responses by charles1dad

Well here`s another vote for the Shuguang Black Treasure 300b. I`ts a wonderful sounding tube and reliable, I`ve used mine nearly every day for over a year and have had no problems at all. The TJ 300b SE is said to be an excellent tube also but I`ve no personal experience with it. These treasure tubes absolutely make my SET Frankenstein amp sing.
Hi Montejay,
I did`nt know you had compared the TJ 300bSE version I thought you have the carbon plate(non SE). The 6 moons review was a rave for the SE tube and they`re usally spot on with their reviewing. But I same as you just love the treasure tubes and hope others get a chance to hear them also. The eastern european(EML/EAT) have great reviews but are even more expensive than these premiun tubes from china.
Tvad,
Those ebay prices were tempting and I`ve read where others have purchase without any apparent problems. I remained conservative and bought the top tier versions from Grant Audio, more money but piece of mind ruled the day.
Abill,
The KR 300b tubes were always considered a good sounding tube, the problem was premature tube failure with poor company support. Perhaps your 1990s vintage tubes are of better quaility than current production. Where would one find these older tubes?
Calloway,
Much praise has been wriiten about the Royal Princess. It seems it has serious competition in price and performance from the Takatsuki TA300b made in Japan.

I would love the opprotunuty to compare these two.
Jedinite24,
These choices are difficult to make without actually hearing them in your own amplifier/system. It sounds like a cop out but there are ever present variables that determine final preference. In my SET I clearly preferred the Shuguang Black Treasure (BT) to the Sophia mesh princess 300b. Yet when Dick Olsher reviewed my amplifier in TAS he had the opposite impression (different system and of course, ears). I've been told that the Psvane Treasure is superior to the Shuguang BT. If so then the Psvane is very good and would rrepresent very good value. Makes me wonder how good the Psvane W.E. Replica 300b must be.
Charles,
Bill,
Keep in mind your Psvane Treasure 300b is no slouch by any standard. Three current production tubes I've heard in the Frankenstein that I'd consider premium level are,
Takatsuki TA, Sophia Royal Princess and the EML XLS.
The AVVT SL 32B is premium level but isn't current production (and rare to find used). Where does the W.E.Replica 300b fit in? Could be very good given other Replicas I've heard (101D and the 845).
Charles,
Bill,
I know you and your wife are going to enjoy your new home and the beautiful TN. location, getting rid of lard is a good thing LOL. No need to rush concerning the 300b tubes swapping, you have excellent sound as it is.
Charles,
Gsm,
Yes, I have to agree with you, depending on the 300b I can significantly
alter the sound of my SET amplifier. It makes sense when think about it
however. Very simple and direct circuits with a low number of parts used.
Each 300b is exposed virtually bare to reveal its sonic characteristics. I've
been fortunate enough to have heard 10 different models of the 300b and
everyone of them changed the amplier's sound noticeably. This is a
testament to the innate transparency of a good SET circuit, pure and
natural. Gary, you having a back up Takatsuki pair makes perfect sense to
me. I'm listening to my Takatsuki as I'm typing this. I rotate them and my
EML XLS every 3 or 4 weeks.
Charles,
Of the 10 different 300bs I've heard in my system, 5 of them were graciously loaned to me from fellow (trusting) audiogon members. There are good folks on this site. Bill, your idea is a good one, it's hard to know if you'll like something without actually hearing it yourself. Other's opinions only go so far even if their taste are similar.
Charles,