Best auto-lift/shutoff turntables?

I have a Thorens TD-320 that I bought about a year ago to start my re-entry into vinyl world. Couldn't be happier than listening to records again! Now, with spring in the air, I'm starting to think about upgrading the analog end. As a lazy and forgetful guy, I really want to have the auto-lift and/or auto-shutoff functions. Are there any turntables, new or used, with these functions that will out-perform my TD-320? Thanks.
winegasman
Winegasman, Maybe you should give Sal (the owner) a call at Expressimo Audio. He is one hell of a nice guy, very easy to talk with, and I'm sure, could instill the confidence you may need to get the job done properly. He is in California, and is usually in after 9:00 am Pacific time. His # is 707-445-4660.

If you let him know what turntable you are using, he could give you a recommendation on which lifter to use.

Let us know how you make out, Ed.
In addition to what Jimbo said about letting it spin, I can attest that many dealers do this regularly. The first time I went to audition some amps at one of my preferred hifi shops, they asked me to just keep the LP12 they had in the listening room spinning--it's no thing to whisk a vinyl off that felt mat while it's spinning. I noticed they kept their Notts spinning, too. Makes sense--starting and stopping a low torqure motor running a big hunk of platter will certainly cause more wear than just letting it go. Only reason I stop my Gyro between plays is because of the "grippy" platter, plus the clamp is tough to screw on in the same direction the platter spins ;) I did let my AR spin, though. I realize this may not help the original poster, but perhaps other readers of this thread could benefit.

Winegasman, it sounds like you have your heart set on a full automatic, and although I'm something of a newbie myself, I personally just haven't seen any better auto 'tables than that Thorens. If you want a truly better analog experience, I'd really consider what these guys are saying about adding aftermarket lifters. If you're not comfortable with the install, then I'm sure you could find a local high end shop to do it for you for a nominal fee, especially if you're on good terms with them. Have them check that things are set up and working properly while it's there.

Good luck-
Dirty
So, just to sum up: it appears that there are no turntables with auto-lift out there, new or used, that will outperform my TD-320. Do I have that right? Thanks for the posts.
Winegasman, I'll put my best foot forward and say, Yes, that's probably accurate and correct.

Semi-automatic turntables went the same route as many other logical and useful devices. Sometimes, they simply make too much sense. :>)
I have the same question as I, clearly, not sophisticated enough to use a turntable without messing up a needle. I am thinking that an old Yamaha px2 or px3, possibly a PF800 might be the answer. The Dual belt drive turntables were nice units but not better than the Thorens. The Needle Doctor seems to have NOS Dual CS 505 and 435 tables; the 435 is a fully automatic. Sold with warranty and cartridge; ie, ready to plug and play.

carl