Best headphones you've ever heard/used

Well, the subject says it all I guess. I'm looking for two sets of good quality headphones.

The first one is an earphone for use with my iPod. I'm looking for a small pair of compact in-ear earphones. I take long boring flights to Asia often so it'd be nice if they were high quality and helped out with noise canceling. I've heard good things from Shure. Any other recommendations?

The second one will be for night time listening in my bed. These headphones can be big but hopefully not too heavy. I also need them to be wireless for at least 15ft.

Thanks in advance,
spacekadet
Sure thing, Robm321. Also, I'd say I know a bit about headphones, but still pale in comparison to some of the guru's over at head-fi know...that's really all they talk about over there, headphones, so sorry to beat a dead horse, I but highly encourage you to sift through the threads there as you will likely learn some more on this subject. They do have a huge number of participants there, so you'll get far more representative reviews on the IEMs than just little old me...

- walkman
Walkman,

I do browse headfi every once in awhile. I am pretty knowledgeable on the regular headphones and headphone amps. I use Grado RS-1 with RA-1 and Senn hd600 with ASL MGhead Amp.

But I have been traveling more lately and I bought the Shure e3. I also use a RIO mp3 player (I didn't want to be stuck with itunes and wanted option for WMA files). I don't know much about the in ear stuff. I wanted a summary which you were very helpful with. At headfi they tend to be so familiar with headphone set ups that it's hard to get an overview of what's good and what works with what without lots of reading to get to it, but it is a great forum. I can't say the same for headroom which is clearly a bottom line driven sales company. Their reviews claim Senn headphones are all the best and great values and Grados get very low ratings. I have both and like both, but if I had to give one up it would be the Senns. Sorry to go off on a rant.

I agree with you. I've heard nothing but good things about the UE $900 phones, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much on anything portable.
Robm321: Understood on head-fi (didn't realize, and yes, it's a bit daunting). I am glad that I helped. It "sounds" like you know your headphone/amp stuff, too, so I am glad to have been of service on the IEM end.

I can also add that I have never listened to the Etymotics, but they have a huge fan base...from what I have read, they are more detailed, have more high's, and are less comfy than the Shure's. Folks say the Shure's are more musical and the Ety's are more analytical. It seems that folks who like rock (like me) go for the Shure's and folks who like classical, go for the Ety's.

Since you are familiar with head-amps, and you travel, which means carrying a portable head-amp should not be an issue, I do recommend getting a portable headphone amp, even if it's just a toy to compare and contrast. It will make a difference with whatever IEM you get, but I must say, for me, the Shure e4 amped is really good: fast, musical, deep/tight bass, and strong highs and mids.

- walkman
I just may have to bump up to the e4 and get a portable amp. The e3 is ok, but I wouldn't have any doubts about your comments that the e4 is a big step up especially with an amp.

There is something about having hi end on the go that really makes this stuff compelling.

Nothing will replace the life sized soundstage in front of me from a high end home system, but I still enjoy the soundstage "in my head" with no reservations.

Thanks again,
Rob