Best headphones you've ever heard/used

Well, the subject says it all I guess. I'm looking for two sets of good quality headphones.

The first one is an earphone for use with my iPod. I'm looking for a small pair of compact in-ear earphones. I take long boring flights to Asia often so it'd be nice if they were high quality and helped out with noise canceling. I've heard good things from Shure. Any other recommendations?

The second one will be for night time listening in my bed. These headphones can be big but hopefully not too heavy. I also need them to be wireless for at least 15ft.

Thanks in advance,
spacekadet
Walkman,

Given that the E4 would require the cost of an amp to go with it. Would you say that there is no reason to get an e4 at all unless you already own a portible amp given that after the amp purchase the cost would be close to the same?
Hi Robm321. No, I guess I would not say that. There are plenty of folks over at head-fi who are claiming "sonic satisfaction" with their e4s straight out of their MP3 players. However, I am not the only one over at head-fi who claims that (while the e4 is clearly superior to the e3), the e4 straight out of the source (e.g. iPod) is not an excellent result. I like my e5 straight out of the iPod more than the e4. It's not a huge preference, but is a winning preference.

You should know that there other IEMs (canalphones) in the e4 price-range that have a different sonic signature, and may be preferable to you. The westone UM2 gets good reviews, and apparently has more bass. A lot more bass from what I have read. I have not tried them. There's also the Super.fi pro5 by Ultimate Ears, the same folks who make the custom UE-10/UE-5.

I really like Shure headphones because they are comfy to me, sound good to me, and Shure has excellent customer service (not just to me, but widely regarded and lauded).

I think you do have options here, and I would not necessarily preclude the suggested purchase of the e4 sans a headphone amp. I'd consider the e4, and if you got it, and found the bass lacking (it depends on the source; the iPod does not have great bass, but some have found satisfaction here with the bass boost turned on, while others using different mp3 players are satisfied), then you can consider getting a portable amp (price range $50-$400, and widely available used on head-fi). Another option is to buy both the Shure e4 and the Westone or the Super.fi Pro 5, and return the one you like least.

I did already have a portable headphone amplifier prior to the purchase of the e4s. While neither the e4s nor the e5s, nor many (if any) canalphone require a headphone amplifier from a sensitivity view, they do benefit to some degree from an amplifier due to the fact that the amp is just a better amp of sound than the little chip located in one's mp3 player. I do love the sound of my shure e4s with my headamp AE-1 (and Ray Samuels has a tiny new "Hornet" out that is getting some early, strong reviews over at head-fi, and Jan Meier has a new version of the Porta Corda, but these are not cheap, and there are many other good portable headphone amplifiers, new and used, to shop from), and it's the pairing of the mp3 player & the headphone amp that is somewhat consistent with the sonic nirvana that folks shoot for here with their home systems. I'm satisfied, but also can do better as those custom IEMs would likely be a big step up (but also in price and anxiety due to the worry factor of getting such an expensive IEM snagged in subway or on the bus or whatnot...).

good luck,
- walkman
Sure thing, Robm321. Also, I'd say I know a bit about headphones, but still pale in comparison to some of the guru's over at head-fi know...that's really all they talk about over there, headphones, so sorry to beat a dead horse, I but highly encourage you to sift through the threads there as you will likely learn some more on this subject. They do have a huge number of participants there, so you'll get far more representative reviews on the IEMs than just little old me...

- walkman
Walkman,

I do browse headfi every once in awhile. I am pretty knowledgeable on the regular headphones and headphone amps. I use Grado RS-1 with RA-1 and Senn hd600 with ASL MGhead Amp.

But I have been traveling more lately and I bought the Shure e3. I also use a RIO mp3 player (I didn't want to be stuck with itunes and wanted option for WMA files). I don't know much about the in ear stuff. I wanted a summary which you were very helpful with. At headfi they tend to be so familiar with headphone set ups that it's hard to get an overview of what's good and what works with what without lots of reading to get to it, but it is a great forum. I can't say the same for headroom which is clearly a bottom line driven sales company. Their reviews claim Senn headphones are all the best and great values and Grados get very low ratings. I have both and like both, but if I had to give one up it would be the Senns. Sorry to go off on a rant.

I agree with you. I've heard nothing but good things about the UE $900 phones, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much on anything portable.