Bluesound Node2

Let me start by saying I'm a (very) late convert from vinyl into the digital domain. I finally got very curious  about what I might be missing and recently purchased a Bluesound Node2 and got a Tidal HiFi subscription. I have it connected to my preamp's MP3 connection and I think the sound quality is real good, CD quality depending on the original content. That said, I see a lot of folks buying either external DACs or preamp's with a built in DAC. Given that I don't use my computer as a source for music, are there any advantages in having a DAC? I do have an average quality CD player that I occasionally use but I'm now finding myself using Tidal more and more for almost all my "digital" content. Just trying to find out  what I'm missing. Thanks. 

128x128kalali

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I have the Vault 2 in my 2 channel system and the node in a HT system (the Node plays 2 channel only).  I think the DACs are the same.
My channel system is a higher end system with a great DAC (Mytek Manhattan).  My HT system DAC is more prosaic, utilizing the 10 year old Onkyo receiver included DAC
The Vault is connected SPDIF into the Mytek and sounds much better than the Vaults Internal DAC.  The Node is connected to the AVR with Analog inputs because the Node definitely has the better DAC.
  Tidal may be a wildcard.  Bluesound can decode MQA.  If Tidal ever releases significant MQA content then you will want to listen to those recordings utilizing the Node DAC.  If that ever happens I miy use an an unused analog input on my preamp for the analog output of the aVault.