Build my own speakers?

I am wondering if I buy the best components like scan speak-revalator tweeters and such if it can be possible. I am thinking it can for a fraction of the dealer cost of a new top of the line speakers made. With all the sites out on the web for cabinet design and such. Speakers with the revalator tweeter sale for $20,000 and up. The tweeter is only about $400 brand new.
radrog

Showing 1 response by wireless200

A friend of mine is an avid DIY speaker builder. I've seem him go to extraordinary lengths to build the "best" speakers possible - special cabinets, exotic drivers, very detailed work on crossovers, sophisticated design software, hi-tech measuring devices, etc., etc.

I've also been to a DIY speaker convention where his ilk congregate. Although the stuff they do is very interesting I haven't heard anything that sounds all that great that they've built not mention look good. Sure some of the creations sound ok even pretty good but in comparision with manufacturer speakers, I wouldn't consider DIY unless one is just interested in it from a hobby and learning standpoint. I certainly learned a lot but never saw anything that competed with various speakers I've purchased and owned.