Can asking price be changed after offer is made?

Is it ethical to change your asking price after you receive many offers?

Last night some one ran TWO ads for the same model of Billy Bag stand for $200. I made an offer on one ad and the seller told me that he will make a decision later. Then on this same ad (same item number), the seller changed the price to $300.00. The other ad still has the price of $200 but it was marked SOLD.

Seems like greed speaks louder than ethics. Can an user do anything about the fact the item price is jacked up *after* the buyer made an offer? I wanted to contact audiogon service but cannot find any link to send them an e-mail.
cuonghuutran
A seller can do whatever they like in terms of refusing offers, changing prices, pulling their ad, etc... Disregard the idiot and move on or pay the higher asking price. Such is life and things are not always as we would like them to be. Personally, i would avoid dealing with an individual that pulled such a stunt. It speaks volumes about their integrity and as such, tells me that the item has a greater chance of being mis-represented than if sold by someone with a higher sense of morals. Sean
>
I agree with Sean, but would also point out that the total scenario in this case makes me suspect that the seller either made an unintentional mistake when he posted his ad which he did not know could be easily corrected, was having difficulty dealing with the procedural aspects of using the Audiogon data-entry fields, or both. Try contacting the seller if you are still interested - if it's still available, you might find out there were some extenuating circumstances involved you could cut some slack for.
Sounds to me like he got several offers and started thinking he asked too low a price for his stand; since he got several offers, in his mind, the market will bear more than the original asking price for it. He should auction off items when he's not sure of the value, the market price will dictate what it's worth. Weird things going on lately, I was selling an item on Ebay and a buyer contacted me with a bizarre request; there were a few units like mine up for auction and he was trying to play each of us off against each other to get the best deal. Quote him a fixed price including shipping and he'd let me know where I stood vs. the pricing provided to him by other owners selling the same unit. A reverse auction of sorts. I ignored him, as you should ignore the seller of the Billy Baggs stand.
I agree with the two previous post. I also believe he let you know what type of person you were about to deal with so,in one sense he did you a favor!Move on and Good Luck.
I'm not a lawyer, but, once you agree to a standing offer I believe you have a contract.