Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
Thanks for all of your responses guys (or gals).

I think the issue I'm having is likely a combination of all of the factors mentioned above (speaker choice, driver configuration, cabinet resonances, room acoustics...)

Sadly, most of the speakers mentioned are out of my price range at this time. I'm hoping to spend around 1K or less used.

Pryso: Yes, I should refer to them as monitor or standmount. Thanks for that.

Mapman: Can you make a recommendation for a speaker that has "as few transducers as possible and for the configuration of those drivers present to approximate a point or line source and a neutral timbre overall."?

I plan on going into specifics about speakers I've heard and asking for recommendations but I'd prefer to do that in a seperate post.

What I'm hearing so far, is that most of you believe you CAN in fact get that "monitor magic" I've been experiencing in a floorstanding speaker.
Eyediver: If you go with Merlin, you will need to replace your entire system. Bobby insists on Cardas cables, it used to be Joule electronics, etc. It seems as though his speakers are voiced in such a way that they only sound "right" with certain -- and expensive -- equipment. That always struck me as odd, but that's the reality. They're also lacking in coherence. I think you can do a lot better for less money. (Bobby certainly doesn't skimp on the quality of the stuff he puts into the boxes, and that is reflected in the price.)

You might want to check out Von Schweikert, Spendor and Totem's The One. There are lots of good choices out there.
"That one's a bit of a stretch." Couldn't agree more, it seems to be the standard here anymore. Some also are the first to stretch and it's seems to be a part time job at it ! Only in America can one waste so much time and energy on baloney.
EyeDiver,

OHM Micro Walsh are floor standers using a Walsh driver configuration that meets those criteria in your price range.

I use slightly larger and more costly versions of these in my system, but the Micros come pretty close to these from what I have heard.

Totem Arros also but you've already eliminated those.
9rw,

The VSM presents a sufficiently benign load to the amp that virtually ANY model over 10-15 wpc will work well. I've used more than a dozen different power amps from 300B SET designs to SS high output monsters. Ironically, it allows successful system matching with a greater variety of amps than just about any other extended bandwidth speaker (in-room bass to <30hz) that I've heard. Bobby's personal preferences aside, it's simply wrong to suggest that anyone need change out their system to accomodate VSMs (unless they're running flea powered SET amps).

I'd also point out that the system is a 2 way with x-over at 2200hz. This set up should intuitively provide more "coherent" sound than 3 ways or systems which feature x-over points in the octave or 2 around middle C, where the ear is most sensitive to discontinuity. In my experience, that is exactly what happens with the VSM.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions, but your specific criticisms of the VSM are at odds with my 10+ years of experience with this speaker. It's not perfect, by any means, but it is Very easy to match to the amp of your choice and it is Very "coherent" (seamless) for a speaker with its low bass roll-off point.

Marty