2-Way Floorstander, $1500

My listening room is 12x16, I am looking for suggestions for quality floorstand monitors, new or used, F3<40Hz, preferably veneer finish, for quality, digitally amplified system, digital front end. Thinking about Quad 21L, Dynaudio Audience 62, Totem Hawk. Comparisons? Thank you.
dmason
Try Meadowlark Kestral 2's or
Meadowlark Swifts also.
Or Green Mountain Europas on stands. All
in that price range.
For $1500-1750, you could acquire a used pair of Vandersteen 3A's ($1500 is the lower end of their used price, but I've seen them here on A-gon for that price). The Vandy 3A is a 3-way design that includes an acoustic coupler for low frequencies, and will provide you with significantly better performance for the price than any 2-way system.
If you're able to find a used pair of Snell E/III's around $500 or less, buy them. Beautiful sounding/looking spkrs. Choice of wood veneers as well. (The J/III and IV sound good as well, but not as good as the E/III. Excellent spks. at a very reasonable prices.)
I have a pair of Focus FS78 for sell that would work nicely (comparable to the Wilsons....if your more familar with that brand). E-mail me for details.

Jon
In that price range, I'd grab a new pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs. SD is right that you could hunt for a pair of 3As, but that's always a crapshoot.
As above, I agree that Vandersteens are very good, especially for the price (but no veneer). I've heard the Totem Hawk which I liked as well, but if I were buying in your price range I might take a look at (used) Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods. On second thought, maybe not, as their carbon fibre woofers are best when used with tubes somewhere upstream.

Good luck!
I would look into the Proac studio line. Maybe the 250's are possible at that price.
You might be able to find the studio 125's from proac at that price range. Personally, I'd stay away from the Meadowlark Swift. I've had them and think there is better for the money. I did hear the Vandersteen 2Ce over the weekend and really liked it.
I like the Vandy 3a's as well. But I'll tell you what, if you've got the room and you can get good samples, you've gotta try and Apogee Stage (with stands, $900), Apogee Caliper Signature ($1000, no stands necessary), Apogee Duettas Signatures ($1500, no stands necessary) or the Maggie 1.6QR ($1100, no stands necessary). Except for the Duetta Signatures, you have money left over for a good, cheap used sub like the Velodyne FRS-12.

AND if you're using digital x-overs and amps, the Apogees are IIIdeal for active biamping (requires bypassing the internal x-overs...not that big of a deal, especially with the Stage).

Good luck
I should have stated that my recommendation of the Proac Studio 250's was based on used price. I think they retail for about $4000.00 new.
On the basis of pure sonics, you won't find anything much better than the Vandersteen 2ce or 1c in your price range. However, they are not very good looking speakers. If you want a nice wood finish, suggest you investigate the Vienna Acoustics Bach. THe Proac Studio series may also work but they are hard to find. Also hard to find, but nice looking and good sounding is the Ruark Prologue.
In a room your size, you may get better results from a quality stand mounted speaker like the Green Mountain Europas.

A powered subwoofer could be add later if you need/want more bass.
I would second the Vandy 3A, which could be upgraded to the 3ASig when you get an extra $800.00.