Carver 275 Crimson tube amp --- any feedback appreciated

I have a Platinum modified McCormack DNA .05 and a Pass Labs First Watt F5 with which I drive my Spatial Audio Hologram M4 Triode Master speakers.  I have sworn off tube amps in the past, but I am intrigued with this new amp from Bob Carver.  Wally Underwood as well as Jimclarkstereo in Illinois are now selling them for about $2500.  I have never doubted Bob Carver's audio engineering genius.  I would be keen to get a 75 wpc tube amp and the price seems very reasonable compared to similarly-powered tube amps.    

I would be interested to hear what you lads think of this new amp.  Thanks for any input you can provide.  
whitestix

Showing 1 response by jaynemo1962

The question to ponder is whether or not your   Spatial Audio Hologram M4 Triode Master speakers need an amp with high current output and control that SS offers. Like your DNA-0.5. If they do, the Carver will certainly fall short. I tried driving my restored, very current hungry German Physiks Borderland MK1 with my Carver VTA180M Cherry monoblocks, and it was dull and lifeless. I took a shot and bought a McCormack DNA 1.0 with rev B upgrades and the GP's came alive. Was so happy with the synergy that I sent the amp to Steve for a full upgrade including the Plitron transformer. The Cherry's went back to my vinyl rig. I'm thinking the best attribute about the Cherry's  driving my Legacy Focus SE's was that they were dead quiet and run super cool. Carver lifts the grounds by using only a two prong plug. And although the focus SE's are very sensitive, as far as the mid-bass and low end bass is concerned, the Cherry's "just run out of iron" and the mid range is somewhat smeared and lacks detail. The highs are just OK. Now that's MY system. YMMV. Well the itch came back, and decided to sell the Cherry's, and they will be replaced with a Wells Audio Innamorata. My front end remains tube though, and its going to be an interesting experiment driving the Wells with a Dehavilland UV3 and Fosgate Signature phono stage front end. When using the Carvers, of course go by what your ears say, and not the published specs, because Carver tends to always "exaggerate" his performance specs.