Class D amps

I know Class D power amps are used in car audio applications. Why not for home audio power amps? Thanks.
nordic587
Yes, I recall the arc switching amps to be designed to work well with tube preamps. No surprise from a company like arc that is an icon for tube gear.
Mapman, Thanks for saying what I meant to say. Reading your posts and the post of a few others here on A'gon is what convinced me to get over my fears of trying Class D and I am glad I did. After hearing nearly 10 different amps in my system I have nipped the upgrade bug with these new amps.

I think its funny that to my ears class D sounds nothing like what its naysayers claim. It has really turned me off to so called professional reviews. The best thing to do is just hear the equipment for yourself.
Eric... thanks for posting that!! I have been debating on jumping on the class D bandwagon in the next few weeks & have been wondering how to break it in. So what's the verdict, just having the amp on or does in need music/noise through it?

Kinda funny... I have old Adcom car audio amps & the local audio shop (getting ready to do a install again, Morel sub - Hertz mille components & Adcom) & the shop wants me to go the class D route (JL HD's) in place of my old adcom stuff which I just can's get myself to do. Looking for a new/used amp to power my main home speakers.... & class D is at the top of my list. I am leaning towards the wyred 1000w amp. Threads like this help me make my decision.....
As in everything implementation can mean success or not. Generally speaking, Class D amps have small size and little heat relative to the power they produce. Again, generally speaking, it is difficult to produce a very refined Class D amp that can compete in the higher echelons of Audiophiledom because of of their difficulty in the mids and high end of the audio spectrum. Vandersteen uses Class D amps to drive only the lows thus eliminating the problems and taking advantage of the benefits of Class D amplification. I believe there are many Class D amps that are incorporated to drive subs.