Class D amps

I know Class D power amps are used in car audio applications. Why not for home audio power amps? Thanks.
nordic587
Eric... thanks for posting that!! I have been debating on jumping on the class D bandwagon in the next few weeks & have been wondering how to break it in. So what's the verdict, just having the amp on or does in need music/noise through it?

Kinda funny... I have old Adcom car audio amps & the local audio shop (getting ready to do a install again, Morel sub - Hertz mille components & Adcom) & the shop wants me to go the class D route (JL HD's) in place of my old adcom stuff which I just can's get myself to do. Looking for a new/used amp to power my main home speakers.... & class D is at the top of my list. I am leaning towards the wyred 1000w amp. Threads like this help me make my decision.....
As in everything implementation can mean success or not. Generally speaking, Class D amps have small size and little heat relative to the power they produce. Again, generally speaking, it is difficult to produce a very refined Class D amp that can compete in the higher echelons of Audiophiledom because of of their difficulty in the mids and high end of the audio spectrum. Vandersteen uses Class D amps to drive only the lows thus eliminating the problems and taking advantage of the benefits of Class D amplification. I believe there are many Class D amps that are incorporated to drive subs.
Class D amps aren't necessarily small, and/or at least not lightweight.

My Hypex amps I built have (1) 500va toroidal transformer per side, all Neotech solid core wiring, upgraded IEC, RCAs and binding posts. They are not light. And to answer the question above, my amps took hundreds of hours of PLAYING time to really shine.

I agree with Ciphercomplete. My amps sound nothing like how a number of professional reviewers have described them. I think their criticism is primarily snob appeal and protection of the well-established, high-end amp manufacturers who are clearly threatened by more efficient and cost effective technology. I can afford virtually any amp I want, but so far, I have not been tempted to purchase any other amps.

Hypex amps are the best I have had in my system (only after lots of hours) and Hypex has also announced a new amplifier, NCore, which they contend will meet or exceed the SQ of any SS amplifier technology available at any price. Time will tell whether this is simply marketing or if Bruno Putzey, has indeed, pushed the envelope on Class D.
Thanks to those who responded to my query with decency. I guess the all kinds to participate here no matter their apparent lack of manners.