Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I read the German blogs and classical reviews primarily in order to retain
my German language skills, such as they are .
In last few years the rave revues on the young(ish) Chinese violinist Tang Yang
have been nothing less than spectacular .
I finally broke down and bought her Naxos CD of Saint-Saens "Works for Violin and Orchestra " which are seldom played .
I’ve not heard such perfection of technique combined with unreal sensitivity to the music itself in many a year .
I suspect she doesn’t get much press in US because she was offered scholarships by both Julliard and Curtis at a very young age but turned them down for a German scholarship in Chamber Music .

She still resides in Germany and has 6 recordings on Naxos,,which is a German Firm , I ordered the other 5 today .

Here's a vote for Rachel Podger, she's quite well established now but I heard her years ago and remember thinking then that she was going places.  I have a few CDs by her, and they never fail to please.

Today's recommendation: Corelli, Violin Sonatas, Op. 5, Avison Ensemble on Linn, 2 CDs.

Surprised there is no love for Glenn Gould here.
But I'll throw in some must haves.
Goldbergs '81 analog not digital version
Music of the Renaissance and Baroque 2 cd set

Also what on vinyl was considered a demonstration disc(try and find one!) Cluytens  Debussy's Jeux

And I happen to be a big fan of Baroque played with high cholesterol style rather than on blood thinner so I'll add Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico by the Berlin Philharmonic. Often making music is very different from academic archeology. And let's face it no one will ever know what contemporaries of the early music and baroque composers really heard. Though it is fun to speculate. But not too much.

Lots of love for Glenn Gould here.  One of the great musical minds of the 20th century.  And, what a pianist!!!
Also a big fan of Jeux.  A masterpiece.
There may be a case for early music but by Baroque era it is pretty well known what was what in instruments,and you can hear them today .
My self, I don’t pay much attention to those who say Bach etc would have used this or that modern instrument had it existed in favor of what he did write for those who did exist .
As always to each his own .