Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Another great, great Wagner CD is the Solti Das Rheingold on Decca Heritage Masters label. Thus performance is from 1958, in extremely good Stereo sound, at Vienna, with London and Flagstad, and predates the more famous Solti Ring extravaganza just a bit.
My 2 cents worth on piano recordings:

Arrau Beethoven Waldstein sonata Philips
Richter Liszt Concertos Philips
Eschenbach Mozart Sonatas DG
Horowitz Rach sonata #2, Chopin Polonaise-       Fantasie, Etudes Op. 10, #3, 4 and 12, Scriabin
Cortot Chopin
Rubinstein Chopin Nocturnes
Ashkenazy Prokofiev Con. #1, 2 Previn
Pogorelich Ravel Gaspard DG
Zimerman Chopin Concertos Giulini DG
Gould Bach
Fleisher Szell Beethoven Concertos
Kempff Mozart Con. #23, 24 DG
Brendel Mozart Con. #25 Philips
Gilels Mozart Con. #27 DG
Bernstein Shostakovich Con. #2 Columbia
Janis Prokofiev Con. #3, Rach Con. #3 Mercury

Just one , but from and by two of the most neglected and underplayed Greats at this time in USA .

Imogen Cooper plays Schumann /Chandros

"Davidsbundler",Abegg Variations" , Novelletten" and "Geistervariotionen "

Sublime .

Many years ago!

Interesting story: The night of the Ashkenazy performance, my friends and I went outside of Carnegie and waited all night for Horowitz tickets to be sold in one of his first return concerts from his sabbatical.)
(Actually, truth be told, I didn’t wait all night; my friends did and bought me tickets.)