DAC Confusion

Just picked up a used Bluesound N100 at a local HiFi store in my parts that was listed here. Mentioned to the sales guy that I am starting fresh with a new system and need amplification. He suggested an integrated amp with a built-in DAC (NAD 368). Here’s my question: aside from the relative merits of that NAD unit, why would I need a built-in DAC when the N100 has its own DAC? He claimed the NAD DAC is superior to the one in the N100 and thus worth the extra $ I’d be paying compared with an integrated without a DAC. Hmmmm.... really? I know there can be qualitative, significant differences in performance between DACs, but between the one in the NAD 368 vs the N100? I’m a bit skeptical, and he didn’t seem too eager to let me do a listening test.

Bottom line, I gotta buy an integrated and my shelf space (and budget) is a bit tight, so if I’m gonna go the “Swiss army knife” route (to borrow a phrase from a related thread), it’s gonna be for a built-in phono stage for my LPs, not a redundant built-in DAC.

BTW, this will be driving a pair of efficient bookshelf speakers so I don’t need a ton of power. Of course, I mentioned that to the sales guy and he argued that I should buy as much power now as I could afford, to “future-proof” my purchase in case I decide to upgrade to more difficult-to-drive speakers later on. 

That’s when I left the store ;)

Sorry for the long-winded post. I’m a newbie and my head is spinning a bit over all of this.

128x128davidb928

Showing 1 response by mahler123

Since Bluesound is part owned by NAD, I would suspect that the DAC in the Amp is pretty similar to the Bluesound Internal DAC.  I own the Vault2 and Node2 but to to be fair, I haven’t heard the DAC in the amp.
  I think you did the right thing.  The Bluesound DACs aren’t the last word in Daiquri, but if you are going to upgrade to a better DAC, I wouldn’t make a lateral move.  Spend the money on a traditional amp, sans DAC, and then in the future if you want to up the quality of the DAC, do so.