DAC for McIntosh MA252?

Hi all - would really appreciate your insight and recommendations.

I recently purchased a McIntosh MA252 to upgrade my Marantz PM8005 and get some tubes into my system, which is used roughly 50/50 for digital (tv, games, streaming Tidal) and analog.

Now I’m looking to upgrade my DAC and add a streamer (man, this hobby is like BDSM for your checking account). I’m currently using a $99 piece of Schiit (Modi 2) that is showing its limitations, at the very least from a functionality perspective. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole of research and have come up with a number of options I’m considering. I’m blessed that budget is only an issue to the extent I feel guilt about not throwing it in the "house down payment" pile....within obvious reason.

My current setup is:
Macbook Pro
Modi 2 ($99)
MA252 ($3500)
Goldenear Triton 2 ($2500)
Marantz TT-15 ($1500) w/ stock Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cart
Transparent speaker cable; interconnects are nothing special

Everything I look at seems to be a tradeoff with pros and cons, and even more fundamentally, opinions vary greatly on the importance and budgetary outlay for a DAC in a system. I hear everything from "functioning DACs all sound the same because technology" to "source is the most important component and amp/DAC should be in same budgetary ballpark," etc.). At the very least, I want to get solid streaming functionality and sound quality that’ll make this little amp shine to its fullest potential.

A few I’m considering with my pros and cons:

Bluesound Node 2i -- ($449)
Pros: Everything and the kitchen sink with streaming functionality (even Alexa & MQA); inexpensive
Cons: Most reviews say it sounds great "for the price"

Cambridge Audio Azur-851N -- ($1129 refurbished)
Pros: LCD screen for album art is slick
Cons: Tidal experience through Cambridge app is reportedly pretty janky; sound quality reviews are hit or miss

Chord Mojo/Poly combo -- ($1300)
Pros: Chord DACs appear to be very highly regarded
Cons: Not sure messing with batteries and recharging is for me. I’d like to plug it in and forget it

Auralic Vega -- ($2000 floor demo)
Pros: Sound quality reportedly phenomenal
Cons: Buying old tech; cosmetically clashes with...pretty much everything in my system

McIntosh MB50 -- ($2000)
Pros: Matches amp, well-reviewed sound quality, works with Alexa
Cons: Play-fi app livable but not well regarded; matching but unremarkable appearance

Schiit Yggdrasil w/ Bluesound Node -- (~$2800)
Pros: Reportedly great sound quality; Pretty future-proof with Yggy being modular/upgradable and the streamer in a separate box
Cons: Will the streamer do it justice? Is the DAC really a $2300 upgrade?

Auralic Vega G1 -- ($3800)
Pros: Universally great reviews; love the looks & screen
Cons: Price gets into guilt territory; streamer/dac combo is less future-proof than streamer/Yggy combo

A dealer near me sells Auralic but could only order the Mc with up-front payment and does not carry the other gear. Auditioning opportunities are limited so I’m relying primarily on research and expertise.

So, what to do?

bfjones01

Showing 2 responses by maritime51